As a leading global animal health company, Elanco delivers innovative products and services to improve the health of pets and farm animals around the world because we believe making animals’ lives better, makes life better. Since 1954, we have provided solutions that support veterinarians, farmers and pet owners to advance our vision of Food and Companionship Enriching Life. Elanco’s promise to employees: Together, we foster an inclusive culture where everyone can make a difference, encouraging ownership, growth and well-being.
Manager, U.S Federal Government Affairs
Elanco Animal Health is seeking an exceptional Manager of U.S. Federal Government Affairs to join this highly innovative and growing business. The Manager will have the responsibility to help develop and execute government affairs advocacy objectives and political priorities for Elanco Animal Health on issues related to veterinary medicine, food safety, trade, and sustainability. The Manager will represent Elanco before Congress and relevant federal agencies, to establish, enhance, and preserve key Elanco relations with Members of Congress and their staff, Administration officials and their staff, and other policymakers.
The Manager will identify, monitor, and influence Elanco-relevant federal policy developments on veterinary medicine, food safety, trade, sustainability. You will work closely with its U.S. business and functional leaders of Elanco to connect policy developments with internal decisions and vice-versa and will work especially close with regulatory affairs colleagues. A deep capacity to build and maintain bipartisan relationships skills is essential. Also, you will be responsible for cultivating relationships with stakeholder organizations who are relevant for Elanco’s policy priorities. In all engagements, the ideal candidate will operate with integrity, discipline, and excellence.
You will support the administration, growth, and compliance of the Elanco Political Action Committee (PAC). In addition, it is anticipated you would support the regular filings of lobbying disclosures for the company and lobbyists.
Basic Minimum Qualifications:
- BS/BA degree required (preferred fields: agriculture, science, business, journalism, or political science),
- Minimum 2 years in public affairs, government relations, communications, or similar work experience.
- Understanding of industry trade associations and NGOs (i.e. how they work and function).
- Exceptional and concise verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledgeable of modern agriculture production practices and food industry.
- Outstanding teamwork, leadership, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizing talents with ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
- Proven capability of interacting with multiple levels of contacts, especially with senior officials.
- Recognized ability to work within diverse cross-functional teams.
- Develop and advance Elanco’s public policy objectives in veterinary medicine, food safety, trade, and sustainability.
- Ensure the establishment and maintenance of effective working relationships with federal lawmakers and stakeholders.
- Understanding and engaging Elanco business leaders on relevant public policy developments and Elanco priorities.
- Ensuring compliance for the PAC, its filings, and supporting its growth.
- Coordinating the lobbying disclosure filings and compliance with global advocacy regulations.
- Anticipate challenges/obstacles our business could face as the public policy landscape evolves.
- Engaging with stakeholders, customers, and relevant trade associations on priorities.
- Working closely with Elanco colleagues on priorities and providing visibility on key developments.
- Contributing to the global strategy for government affairs and thought leadership.
- Leading or coordinating public policy campaigns on Elanco priorities.
- Conducting public policy research on Elanco priorities.
Success in position will be measured by:
- Ability to deliver and support delivery of Elanco’s public policy objectives.
- Compliance status and growth of the PAC and related compliance requirements for advocacy.
- Visibility provided to the Elanco business colleagues on priorities, developing issues, and progress to achieve objectives.
- Effect change and drive policymaking that will ultimately benefit our customers.
- Ability to execute the role consistent with company defined behaviors and expected conduct.
- Added value provided to the function and company.
Additional Skills & Preferences:
- Candidates with advanced degrees in law, vet medicine, business, or international relations are encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated success in delivering public policy affairs objectives.
- Highly effective oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills; demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at the highest corporate and political levels.
- Maintain highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity, with strongest professional reputation in the industry.
- A keen working understanding of policymaking, including the mechanics of legislative policymaking process and procedures, effective lobbying techniques, and collaboration with other companies and trade groups.
- Self-starter with proven track record of successfully working with a wide array of functional groups across organization and culture.
- Ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others is required. Ability to understand how technical language in legislative and regulatory proposals could affect corporate operations, identify business implications, and synthesize policy documents for internal customers.
- Must be flexible and demonstrate strong judgment/decision-making skills, and political acumen.
- Reports to: Executive Advisor, Global Corporate Affairs
- Position will require travel (approx. 25-35%), must have a valid passport.
- Located in Washington, DC