Many of the world’s top engineers and scientists come together in our Water business because they view a community’s interaction with water a bit differently—as a single holistic system, rather than unconnected networks divided by jurisdictional boundaries. Working throughout the hydrologic cycle, we are delivering sustainable solutions to make sure water is where it should be and available when needed. Our experts guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. Every day, we help communities improve, reuse, and protect this precious resource for future generations. By 2025 we’re hiring 2,000 people (like you) to join our team. Grow with us, H2O+U.
Stantec’s Water group in Cincinnati is seeking applications for a Malacologist / Fisheries Biologist. The Ecosystems Team at Stantec is dedicated to managing environmental issues professionally and pro-actively. Our aquatics team contributes to threatened and endangered species surveys, fisheries assessments, fish habitat evaluation, fish passage design, water quality assessments and monitoring, sediment and biota sampling, risk and mitigation assessment, technical assessments, ecological restoration, protection planning and environmental mitigation, environmental monitoring, and environmental assessments. We are seeking exceptionally talented and enthusiastic individuals to join our team.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Conduct endangered species surveys with particular focus on freshwater mussels;
- Assist with Section 7 endangered species consultations;
- Assist with 404/401 permit applications;
- Assist with FERC hydro licensing studies;
- Assist with natural resource field investigations; and
- Write reports, proposals and analyze data.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to be included on a federal threatened and endangered species permit;
- Experience identifying fish and mussel species and/or using aquatic sampling techniques (SCUBA/snorkeling, water quality, electrofishing, gill-netting, seining, etc.);
- Experience assessing contaminant uptake in aquatic organisms;
- Boat operation, trailering, and maintenance; and
- Genetics or environmental DNA.
- Strong technical writing abilities and verbal communication skills;
- Willingness to travel for multi-day field assignments;
- Willingness to assist/learn other skillsets including wetland/vernal pool surveys, and post-construction bird/bat monitoring surveys;
- Must be able to work independently and as part of multi-disciplinary teams.
Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Aquatic Invertebrate Biology, Fisheries Biology, Environmental Science, Natural Resources, Molecular Ecology, or similar;
- Experience: Minimum of 1-3 years work experience fisheries/aquatic ecology/malacology; and
- Co-op / Internship experience preferred.
- Licensure: Valid driver’s license required; open water diver certification preferred
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. At Stantec, we live our corporate values every day.
- Stantec was ranked the 5th most sustainable company in the world and the 1st in North America by Corporate Knights for our 2020 performance.
- In February 2021, Stantec announced a pledge to be carbon neutral for 2022 and achieve operational net-zero by 2030.
- Stantec is the only engineering design firm that has been rated a Climate Leader with an A- score by CDP for the last three years.
- Stantec has been named by Forbes as one of the World’s Best Employers and America’s Best Employers for Women. Additionally, the American Indian Science and Engineering Society selected Stantec as one of the Top 50 workplaces for Indigenous STEM professionals
Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : United States-Ohio-Cincinnati
Other Locations : United States-Kentucky-Louisville, United States-Ohio-Columbus, United States-Ohio-Cleveland, United States-Indiana-Indianapolis, United States-Kentucky-Lexington
Job : Biologist
Organization : BC-1734 Water-US North Central
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Feb 17, 2022, 7:00:14 PM
Req ID: 220000MN
Vaccine Policy: Beginning December 8, 2021, Stantec requires North America employees in many positions to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 except those for whom a reasonable accommodation has been granted because a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief, as required by law.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans