Corteva Agriscience™ has an exciting opportunity to join our Population Development team in Waimea, Hawaii. The Laboratory Lead – Tissue Culture Lab leads the operation, ensuring the steady production of high-quality maize plantlets via embryo rescue. This includes receipt of ears through the rescuing of embryos, chromosome doubling, and growth of plantlets in growth chambers. Candidates should have a solid understanding of plant biology, microbiology, and biochemistry, and be comfortable with computers and mobile devices. They will be expected to direct process improvement efforts. They need a collaborative attitude, good communication and critical thinking skills, and a knack for finding creative solutions. This position supervises a team and coordinates activities with other groups and teams.
Responsibilities – How will you help us grow?
- Plan and coordinate workload with external and internal stakeholders and customers.
- Overall management of media preparation, ear cleaning, embryo rescue, and growth chambers.
- Ensure that data are collected accurately and consistently uploaded to databases.
- Ensure that the work area is kept safe, clean, and orderly.
- Supervise, evaluate, and mentor reports, ensuring work is performed in a safe and efficient manner in accordance with
- specified research protocols and regulations as well as good lab practices.
- Communicate openly and effectively with team, supervisors, and other stakeholders.
- Organize daily activities, including labor.
- Coordinate with other groups to ensure key steps are completed in a collaborative manner.
- Promote positive work attitudes and harmonious relations.
- Design and implement process improvements.
- Support all Hawaii Research center-wide goals and support other projects when needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies – What expertise have you grown?
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, microbiology, chemistry, or related field as well as two years related experience.
- Ability to manage people.
- Ability to work as part of a larger, culturally diverse group, as well as independently when needed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledgeable in Mendelian and molecular genetics, microbiology, and chemistry as well as sterile technique.
- Organization and time management skills to handle multiple tasks and priorities.
- Ability to bend, reach, and lift repetitively. Occasionally required to carry 20-50 lbs.
- Computer competency.
- Agricultural or horticultural experience.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to operate a motor vehicle.
Let’s peek at how you can grow your wellbeing, health, and future at Corteva!
- Strike a better work-life balance with robust time off benefits including paid maternity, paternal and well-being leave
- Prepare for your future with our competitive retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement program, and more
- Enjoy access to health benefits for you and your family on your first day of employment
- And much, much more!
Check out life at Corteva!
Ready to grow your perspectives, impact and career? Start by applying to this opportunity today!