ABOUT THE ROLE….
In this role, you will support a variety of laboratory operations as part of a dynamic team to maintain a safe and productive working environment. You will maintain a clean and organized working area and assist in other team projects as needed in the following lab environments: media preparation, tissue culture and molecular biology. You will also ensure materials are properly received and stored per manufacturer instructions. This role is based in West Lafayette, Indiana.
AS A LAB OPERATIONS ASSISTANT, YOU WILL…
- Maintain and identify needed lab inventory.
- Accept/track shipments of lab consumables and distribute to end user
- Be available to aid and work alongside various technicians during Preventative Maintenance and General Repair Visits
- Use specialized lab equipment for the proper treatment and disposal of biohazardous waste
- Maintain a safe working environment, including using proper PPE, filing near-miss reports as needed and encouraging others to follow safe practices.
- Be available throughout the day to assist Lab Operations Manager during equipment troubleshooting
- Be able to work through ambiguous situations and work through issues until they are resolved
- Assist in the preparation of plant tissue culture media, bacterial culture media and sterile water according to written protocols and SOPs.
- Use specialized lab equipment for preparation and dispensing of media
- Cross training in a variety of lab processes for development opportunities
- Be open to performing lab activities outside the basic job description
- BA/BS in Biology, Agriculture or related field
- Must be able to follow Standard Operating Procedures
- Must be self-motivated and customer focused
- Must be able to make bold and well-informed decisions
- Skilled in lab organization with attention to detail
- Must be able to lift 50lbs several times daily
- Knowledge in science and/or agriculture
- Experience with media preparation
- Basic coding and/or experience using robotics
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- A strong sense of purpose and drive to develop unique, high impact solutions
- Adaptability and enthusiasm for new challenges, innate curiosity, and a passion for learning
- Creative and strategic thinking, willingness to be bold and take risks, and the ability to recognize and learn from failure
- A collaborative mindset that is open to giving and receiving ideas, perspectives, and feedback
- Ability to work both independently and deliver on responsibilities within a highly collaborative environment
- Ability to effectively communicate with a diverse range of individuals and audiences