Who are we, and what do we do?
Corteva Agriscience creates the world’s most recognized and premium agricultural solutions to address the greatest challenges in agriculture. With a focus on technology, Corteva Agriscience creates seed and crop protection products that increase productivity and profit for farmers while reducing risks to their business. Every day our digital tools deliver insights our global partners need to thrive now and into the future.
As the world’s first dedicated agriculture start-up, we’re building a culture that stays curious, thinks differently, acts boldly and takes a stand on what’s right for our customers, our co-workers, our partners and our planet. We know we’ve got big challenges to solve – we hope you’ll be part of the solution. Whether you are in the lab or on the farm, teaching classes or crafting code – we need bold thinkers and fearless doers to bring their best to the job at hand. Every role at Corteva Agriscience includes an opportunity to grow what matters.
Corteva Agriscience has an opening in Indianapolis, Indiana for an experienced Chemical IP Attorney. This is a highly visible, key role within Corteva’s Crop Protection Intellectual Property group which provides an exciting opportunity to work within a team yet independently manage core role responsibilities. An individual well-suited to this position must exhibit vision, integrity, commitment, leadership, self-motivation, maturity and good judgment.
Responsibilities – How will you help us grow?
The Chemical IP Attorney’s work within the Crop Protection Intellectual Property group will primarily:
- Involve compositions, formulations and methods of using agricultural chemicals.
- Include drafting and global prosecution of patents.
- Developing global IP strategies.
- Initiating and managing worldwide administrative patent proceedings.
- Assessing freedom to operate.
- Preparing/reviewing licensing and research agreements.
- Developing and implementing product/brand support strategies and patent litigation support.
- Coordinating with scientists on invention development, educating scientists and business people on IP strategies and procedure, and assisting with business strategies.
- Overall activities are expected to be 50% patent preparation and prosecution, 15% agreement/licensing work, and 35% other depending on client needs.
What expertise have you grown? What do you bring to the table?
To be qualified for this role, you must possess the following:
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in a chemistry/chemical engineering field and law degree from an ABA accredited school.
- Member of a state bar (with ability to apply for Indiana Bar) and Registered to Practice before the USPTO.
- Minimum of 5 years experience including drafting and/or prosecuting chemical patent applications.
- Must have drafted at least 30 priority patent applications on distinct inventions during the past few years.
- Must have drafted a significant number of U.S. Office Action responses and response instructions to foreign agents during the past few years.
- Experience working with foreign associates to assist and coordinate filing and prosecution of international patent matters.
- Ability to work independently and proactively with minimal direction.
- Strong organizational skills, keen attention to detail, and ability to prioritize projects and meet aggressive deadlines.
- Strong communication and writing skills.
The following skill sets are preferred by the IP Legal function:
- Advanced (M.S. or Ph.D.) degree with focus on organic chemistry.
- 8+ years of relevant experience.
- Experience drafting and prosecuting agricultural or life sciences chemical patent applications.
- Post-graduate R&D laboratory experience.
- Law firm/corporate legal department experience.
- Experience with independently prosecuting large patent dockets with responsibility for preparing U.S. Office Action responses and sending prosecution instructions to foreign patent agents.
- Experience with developing and implementing IP strategies to support existing and planned products.
Corteva Agriscience ™ serves to enrich the lives of those who produce and those who consume, ensuring progress for generations to come. Our employees fulfill this purpose everyday by building/participating in an inclusive culture where we encourage each other to stay curious, think differently, act boldly and do what’s right for our customers, our co-workers, our partners and our planet. With over 20,000 team members from 130 countries, innovating in 140 world class R&D facilities, we have the resources, leadership heritage and partner ecosystem to make a meaningful impact now and into the future.
Corteva Agriscience™ is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to search or apply for a position, please visit:
To all recruitment agencies: Corteva does not accept unsolicited third party resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.