SUMMARY: This position is responsible for marketing tasks related to the purchasing of grain within an assigned territory. The role includes customer service, extensive networking and communicating with farmer producers, coordination with grain elevator operations, and collaboration with regional sales teams.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The following reflects essential functions for this position. Senior Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities as deemed necessary.
- Plan, develop, and implement grain purchasing strategies and tactics, in accordance with Co-Alliance policies and guidelines established through working with the Grain Marketing Manager.
- Set and achieve origination goals for assigned accounts.
- Coordinate strategies and tactics to align with grain elevator logistics.
- Coordinate strategies and tactics to align with grain marketing and sales.
- By interacting at all levels of a customers operation, gain in depth knowledge and insight to the customers goals, drivers, and initiatives, in order to target origination tactics to line up with customer marketing plans.
- As part of a total farm approach to marketing, support regional sales team efforts.
- Make individual calls on assigned accounts.
- Participate in on farm sales calls with regional sales team members.
- Provide grain marketing expertise to regional sales team members.
- Gain a working knowledge of Agronomy programs.
- Maintain account and sales call records.
- Gather information regarding local competitors, and communicate to appropriate stakeholders.
- Position and promote Co-alliance as the most credible source of grain information.
- Explain agricultural markets, local basis, and contracts to our farmer customers.
- Participate in informative farmer meetings.
- Recommend risk management strategies.
- Provide customer service and act as one of the primary points of contact for customers, including resolving issues and complaints.
- Adhere to all safety requirements.
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal regulations.
- Bachelor degree in agriculture or business preferred, or a combination of related experience.
- Understanding of grain business, including basic merchandising, and local market analysis.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills (face-to-face, verbal, written, electronic), with a demonstrated ability to build strong relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement a variety of on farm sales calls.
- Excellent organization skills and ability to work well within strict time frames.
- Ability and willingness to work long hours, travel, and be on call, as business conditions warrant.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and capable of learning company specific software.