SUMMARY: This position is responsible for all merchandising tasks related to the purchase and sale of grain. The role requires leadership, employee supervision, and includes extensive networking and communicating with key industry personnel and Co-Alliance employees.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The following reflects essential functions for this position. Senior Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities as deemed necessary.
- Plan, develop, and implement grain merchandising strategies and tactics, in accordance with Co-Alliance policies and guidelines established through working with the Vice President – Grain.
- Coordinate strategies to align with grain elevator logistics.
- Coordinate strategies to align with origination efforts, including purchase bids and customer targeting.
- Maximize margins.
- Create and maintain good working relationships with processors, brokers, advisors, and other people of influence, regarding grain commodities in our territory and industry.
- Pursue new market opportunities.
- Promote Co-Alliance as a dependable source of quality grain.
- Guide, coach, and develop departmental staff.
- Create and implement grain origination and merchandising training programs.
- Direct Originators and Staff, regarding Co-Alliance messaging and communication to farmer owners, including website and other social media commentary.
- Research, develop, and implement, risk management strategies and tools for use with our farmer customers.
- Following direction and guidance from Vice President – Grain, develop and implement a Grain Digital Platform.
- Includes all aspects of working with IT and training appropriate personnel.
- Monitor use and integrate into origination strategies and tactics.
- Assist in setting and achieving Grain Division financial goals, business objectives and strategic initiatives, including growth strategies.
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal regulations, as it relates to grain trading and merchandising.
- Bachelor degree in agriculture or business.
- 8+ years of related work experience.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, problem solving skills, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrate capacity to evaluate and manage risk, along with understanding of how to conduct professional sales/origination calls with customers and prospects.
- Solid understanding of grain/futures trading and fertilizer markets, production agriculture and the application of those to the farmer
- Strong analytical abilities, initiative, and problem-solving skills vital to adapt to a constantly evolving environment
- Early adopter of new technology and ability to lead and influence other target users
- Strong communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of people, having widely differing abilities and characteristics.
- Ability and willingness to work long hours, and be on call, as business conditions warrant.