Spring 2023 Government Affairs Academic Worker Request
We are interested in hiring a paid academic worker, who will work with Elanco’s DC corporate affairs office part time this spring starting in April. We prefer students based in the DC metro area as we have returned to the office in a hybrid schedule.
Academic Worker Duties
The academic worker program provides an opportunity for a current student to learn about global standards governing international trade in animal health products, improve their research and database management skills, deliver defined and measurable suggestions for process or program improvement, and learn about government affairs at a multinational corporation.
The academic worker will have the following duties:
- Providing support with various research projects, including a key project that will last the duration of the position, as assigned. For the spring academic worker, we envision that the primary project will focus on US farm animal sustainability and an analysis of carbon credits and markets for greenhouse gas emission reduction.
- Additional projects could include, but is not limited to, engaging in digital advocacy campaigns, analyzing policies from international organizations governing trade in animal health products, analyzing international legislation related to antimicrobial use in farm animals, and monitoring US Government policy and Congressional bills.
- Providing support with administrative duties as assigned. This could include updating internal databases, managing email traffic to general email addresses, attending relevant think tank events or Congressional hearings and taking notes, and supporting with translation of key documents (language skill dependent).
Preferred Academic Worker Profile
We are seeking academic workers with the following qualifications:
- Graduating in December 2023 or May 2024 and is a current or enrolled undergraduate or graduate student at a nearby university who studies political science, public policy, sustainability, international affairs, economics, international business or related degrees.
- Is a strong writer and researcher.
- Can work independently.
- Has computer skills. Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe and Canva are required. Experience working with databases and is preferred.
- Has social media skills. Knowledge of digital advocacy through Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn preferred.
- Has language skills in addition to English. Mandarin, Spanish or French preferred.
Targeted start date: April 3, 2023.