The Food Safety Specialist is responsible for conducting microbiological analyses and providing technical expertise to support plant food safety programs. This position will have primary responsibility for maintenance and execution of the plant microbiological monitoring and environmental monitoring programs. Working closely with the Corporate Microbiologist, this position will conduct investigations in response to out-of-specification product and environmental sampling results and will work closely with plant management to identify the root cause of deviations and implement corrective and preventive measures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical expertise on microbiological monitoring and sanitation programs and procedures
- Serve as a technical resource to the plant, including providing expertise regarding food safety impacts of proposed changes to processes and equipment and providing basic training on food safety and microbiology as needed.
- Prepare media and equipment, conduct plant sampling based on approved procedures, conduct analyses, and prepare and issue reports.
- Conduct in-plant audits of processes and sanitation procedures and review results of product and environmental testing to evaluate plant performance and identify opportunities for improvement or trends requiring additional investigation
- In conjunction with the Quality Assurance Manager and Corporate Microbiologist, takes a lead role in performing investigations in response to nonconforming microbiological results.
- Carries out investigative sampling and analysis, performs process and facility audits, and communicates cross-functionally with personnel in all departments to identify the root cause of deviations and implement corrective and preventive measures.
- Perform hygienic design reviews for new equipment and facility modifications
- Supports Quality Assurance department operations as needed and other projects as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Safety, Microbiology, or related discipline with course work in food microbiology.
- Experience in a meat science laboratory with demonstrated proficiency in microbiological testing protocol preferred.