Farm Animal Research Technician
The Farm Animal Research Technician is a seasoned individual who works independently to achieve day to day objectives with limited supervision. This position is necessary to fulfill the research, teaching, and outreach activities of the Department. In addition, this person will monitor animal health and environment conditions, assist faculty with various research projects and clinical instruction of students, maintain health and performance records, and provide tours of research facilities to students, general public, research personnel, etc.
- Working knowledge of animal nutrition, animal behavior, animal husbandry and record keeping in the care of research animals
- Experience with transporting and properly restraining animals, utilizing a variety of techniques
- Monitor animal health and environmental conditions
- Assist in ensuring animals are maintained on a health program which includes vaccinating, treatment management, deworming, etc
- Maintain records of animals such as birthing, breeding, health, reproductive status, identification and other records related to research. May be required to enter information into computer system
- (Dairy only): May be required to enter information into D.A.R.T. computer system for the Dairy Herd Records Processing Center
- Enter necessary research information into computer programs and analyze results
- Prepare reports as requested by supervisor
Research and Instruction:
- Assist faculty in designing research projects by discussing protocol and experimental needs
- Offer recommendations pertaining to use of equipment and facilities
- Record procedures used, results of experiment, environmental changes, identification, treatments, etc.
- Ensure that proper procedures for research are carried out
- Receive instructions from researchers on class schedule needs and assist with the preparation of animals for classroom use
Inventory, Equipment Usage and Facility Maintenance:
- Maintain Inventory of equipment and supplies
- Clean facilities using common and special cleaning chemicals and equipment, i.e., high pressure washers, automatic cage washer, steam gun, etc.
- Ensure cleanliness and orderliness of facility
- Assist in necessary repair and maintenance of pens, gates, fences, water supply and waste lines, electrical systems, etc.
- Operate tractors, silage unloader, loaders, feed augers, manure spreaders and various farm trucks
- Ensure all farm equipment is functioning properly
- Advise supervisor of major repairs needed on equipment and make recommendations on equipment replacements
- Bachelors of Science in Animal Science or closely related field
- 2 years of general farm experience
- In lieu of degree consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of related education and required experience (Associate + 4 years of related experience; HS diploma/GED + 6 years of related experience)
- Basic Computer Skills using Outlook, Excel, Google Docs, etc.
- Strong communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills to provide good customer service, demonstrating a strong service orientation
- Public relations skills to work congenially with the public and staff, display a good-natured and competitive attitude
- Self-directed with ability to work independently as well as with others
- Must frequently lift over 80lbs
- Work in extreme cold and heat for extended periods
- A valid U.S. or Canadian driver’s license
- Dairy experience
- This posting represents 2 vacancies
- Purdue will not sponsor work authorization for this position.
- A background check is required for employment in this position
- This was formerly classified as an operational/technical position; an internal lateral transfer will retain same benefit standing.
- FLSA: Non-Exempt (Eligible for Overtime)
- Retirement: Non-exempt Defined Contribution Plan
- Purdue University is an EEO/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply