Corporate Audit Services (CAS) is an independent and objective audit and consulting function within Elanco. Its mission is to assist the company in achieving its objectives by implementing a systematic and disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of the organization’s risk management, control and governance processes.
The Head of CAS will report directly to the Chair of the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors with a dotted line to the Chief Financial Officer. The Head of CAS reports quarterly to the Audit Committee and is a key member of the CFOs Financial Lead Team and the SOx Steering Committee. This position oversees the Annual Risk Assessment process which evaluates all risk areas included in the CAS charter (finance, IT, privacy, anti-bribery/anti-corruption, information security, governance, third parties, and promotional practices), the outcome ultimately influences the proposed audit plan and initial scope. The Head of CAS has ultimate responsibility to ensure not only are the most important risks covered for the company, but that appropriate Management Action Plans are put in place and communicated in order for timely remediation as needed.
This position is also responsible for communicating trends in coordination with other compliance organizations across Elanco, to management and to the Audit Committee. Communication and influence across all levels of the company, while maintaining independence is of the utmost importance in this role.
The Head of CAS is responsible for designing the structure of the group utilizing resources efficiently and effectively, internally and externally, strategically in multiple geographic areas. This role also ensures high quality audit plans are consistent with IIA standards and Corporate Audit Services’ SOPs. The Head of CAS ensures all members of CAS complete their work at the highest levels of performance and in accordance with all Company Policies and Laws. The role also ensures development opportunities exist for all team members both technically and broadly. This role has a total team of approximately 25 employees.
Risk Assessment, Audit Planning and Audit Execution:
- Direct and review the risk assessment process and models to identify audit universe and work with senior management to prioritize potential audits for the subsequent year audit plan.
- Ensure alignment of the CAS Risk Assessment Process with the Corporate Enterprise Risk Management Assessment.
- Ensure team develops and implements audit plans in a high quality and efficient manner, consistent with Corporate Audit Services’ procedures and IIA standards.
- Review upfront scoping to ensure appropriate resource planning and coverage of identified risks.
- Conduct review of audit reports to ensure high quality, consistency, appropriate ratings of issues and timelines of management actions plans and clarity of message.
- Ensure that audit deliverables meet or exceed expectations of both internal and external stakeholders.
Internal Audit Process:
- Ensure process and project ownership teams are in place, expectations are clear in order ensure CAS is aware of highest risk, potential changes/updates and management is aware of trends and root causes.
- Ensure process owners maintain audit programs in alignment with external guidelines and changes in business processes. Increase quality of CAS processes and communications with key stakeholders to position CAS process owners as valuable key resources to business process owners.
- Identify and direct opportunities to leverage technologies, data analytics and other tools to improve effectiveness and efficiency of audit processes.
- Establish and maintain relationships with global process owners, senior leadership, external auditors, and other key stakeholders (e.g., Legal, Ethics & Compliance, Information Security, Quality, Health Safety & Environmental, Regulatory, Financial Controls Office, etc.) across the organization to enable sharing of emerging risks with Corporate Audit Services.
- Establish thought leadership through internal and external engagement including benchmarking, training and involvement in professional organizations.
- Communicate audit results and trends and emerging risk areas with key business partners using metrics, follow-up on management action plans, and external data.
- Develop expertise in internal auditing, internal controls, and risk management.
- Develop people to succeed in their roles and progress toward their potential and provide timely, balanced, actionable feedback to staff.
- Foster environment that encourages employees to speak up and work effectively in a team environment.
- Review development plan and career planning scenarios no less frequently than semi-annually.
- Play an active role in recruiting auditors and roles across compliance and finance organizations.
Basic Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field
- Certified Public Accountant, Chartered Accountant
- 15+ years of audit experience
- Ability to interact with all levels of management; demonstrated leadership and decision making skills
- Experience with areas of corporate compliance (e.g., FCPA, Global Privacy and Life Science Promotional Practice Laws)
- Strong analytical skills, excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong financial training and experience
- Understanding of different technologies for use in data analytics and automation
- Ability to direct multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal skills, cultural awareness and sensitivity, and ability to attract and direct diverse teams
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Elanco does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g. H-1B or TN status) for this employment position
- MBA or advanced degree
- Additional certifications (CISA, CIA, CFE, CIPP, etc.)
This position is located at Elanco Global Headquarters, Greenfield, Indiana
Domestic and international travel of 10-20% (including weekend travel).
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status