At Farm Credit Mid-America, we believe people are our strongest asset. We are consistently looking to hire individuals from a wide range of experience and skills who have a desire to serve. Currently, we have over 1,500 employees across Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee.
BASIC FUNCTION: The Enterprise Database Developer will be responsible for working with with our application development teams to plan and implement the data layer of our software development projects. The day-to-day activities of this role will include writing stored procedures, optimizing data access for performance, designing data models and applying best practices and standards while working with our development teams. This person will also work collaboratively with our Enterprise Architecture, DBA and Data Warehouse teams to align on business and operational needs.
- Developer Support – Serve as the primary database developer for (at least) 3 a set of software development teams. Deliver complex database solutions that includes both schema and SQL code. Consult with developers regarding the use of database design and SQL coding best practices. Collaborate with the database teams to optimize the performance of applications.
- Special Projects – Represent the database architecture perspective on enterprise level special projects such as SQL Server product migrations (SQL 2016), test automation software, and Loan Origination/CRM system implementations.
- Database Design – Provide physical database design and implementation services for development teams and special projects.
- Database Architecture Standards and Guidance – Maintain the standards and guidance artifact for database architecture and development. Evangelize adoption across the development teams.
- Database DevOps Initiatives – Support the database delivery pipeline (Redgate SQL Change Automation, Microsoft Azure DevOps, and Octopus Deploy). Lead initiatives to improve our database DevOps capabilities.
- Performance Monitoring and Testing – Detect poorly performing SQL queries on our production application databases. Conduct performance tests for complex SQL queries during development and QA. Identify the root cause and work towards a resolution by collaborating with the DBA and development teams.
- Data analysis – Partner with IT Business Analyst and/or business sponsors to learn about business problems with data impact, perform data analysis and provide artifacts to support current and future system requirements.
- Actively participates on assigned projects fulfilling task assignments, meeting deadlines, and proactively seeking attainment of team goals to align with business needs.
- Keeps technical skills current to provide most efficient support to end users.
- Represents and communicates the mission and values of Farm Credit Mid-America and complies with its conduct policy, security policy, and confidentiality expectations.
- Perform other responsibilities as required.
Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting or computer science or related field and 5 years of experience working on database development projects. Experience with SQL stored procedures and complex SQL to develop robust, reliable and high-performance solutions. Experience with software development lifecycle and software development common practices (code reviews, unit testing etc.).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of: Database design and development using Microsoft SQL Server in a .NET environment. T-SQL, stored procedures, triggers, DTS or SSIS, SQL Agent.
Skills in: SQL performance tuning techniques including query plan understanding and management, SQL tracing, DB stats, indexing techniques, using AWR reports, etc. Writing, training, and creating documentation. Desired skills: Microsoft .NET, SQL, Agile development.
Ability to: Exercise judgment; work independently and complete tasks on a timely basis in an unstructured environment; plan, organize projects; analyze data and produce concise summaries; be innovative and creative in developing solutions for many complex issues and have a positive impact on others. Be innovative and creative while also being logical and objective.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
This job requires the incumbent to have the ability to…
Engage in telephone and face-to-face conversation to serve customers and give and receive information from customers, staff, vendors, outside consultants and the public.
Use computer. This involves reading the screen and keying/typing information.
Speak and make presentations to individuals or groups on technical subjects related to job.
Travel via auto or commercial transportation to carry out essential responsibilities of the job.
Successfully interact with and represent the organization to customers, staff, officers, board members, vendors, and/or the public at all levels.
Provide sound technical advice to customers and other staff in the subject field(s) related to this position.
Understand and explain various subject matter and consulting concepts, programs, terminology, and methods.
Reason, judge, compare, calculate, evaluate, decide, and critique such information as written material, numerical data, responses to customer needs, and/or other related work activities.
Requirements of the job include the ability to do the work, with or without reasonable accommodations. It is the Association’s policy to make reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities. Leadership retains the right to add, subtract or change duties of the position at any time.
Here is what our company offers:
- Competitive Salary
- 15 Vacation days, 15 Sick days, 11 Holidays
- Award winning 401(k) with outstanding employer match
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Short-term, Long-term, Life and other insurances
- Fitness incentive
- Tuition Assistance for employees and dependents
Farm Credit Mid-America is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other category protected by law.