Inari is the SEEDesign™ company. We embrace the diversity and complexity of nature in every aspect of our business to drive innovation – to push the boundaries of what is possible. Through our unrivaled technology platform, Inari uses predictive design and advanced multiplex gene editing to develop step-change products. We are taking a nature positive approach to unlock the full potential of seed that will transform the food system. The results will lead to more productive acres delivering value creation for farmers and a more sustainable future for our planet.
Our success is dependent on great minds, collaborating to generate bright ideas and deliver exceptional outcomes.
We have over 230 employees, with research sites in Cambridge, MA (USA) and Ghent (Belgium), as well as a product development site in West Lafayette, IN (USA). We’ve deliberately built a team that brings diversity of thought to all aspects of our business, to generate new ideas, approaches, and ways of operating. And we’ve intentionally combined experience with potential, bringing agriculture industry experts with the desire to innovate together with bright minds from academia, human therapeutics, software, and consulting. If you want to be part of a diverse and inclusive team developing unique solutions to feed the world while protecting our planet’s natural resources, we’d love to hear from you!
DIRECTOR OF PRODUCT DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT
ABOUT THE ROLE….
This is a great opportunity for an exceptionally talented leader to join the INARI organization. This role will be accountable for developing and executing new product development designs to support growth of current and future integrated products in corn and soybeans, or other critical crops for the Company. This role will closely coordinate hybrid breeding, edited, and trait introgression pipelines and collaborate with the commercial organization to support the needs of Inari’s portfolio. This role will have people management responsibilities and report to the PreCommercial and Late Product Development VP. This role is based in West Lafayette, Indiana.
AS THE DIRECTOR OF PRODUCT DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT, YOU WILL…
- Creatively accelerate the integration of germplasm, GMO traits and editing science and technology to the needs of the business through development and transfer of new products from early phases to commercialization
- Drive internal and external germplasm use through precision breeding, and other strategies that accelerate genetic gain and can be implemented at the field level
- Collaborate in the germplasm access strategy with the commercial team. Determine the proper metrics to assess collaborator’s germplasm use and breeding value and communicate back to the different partners.
- Supervise the development of trait integration strategies to design products that provide incremental corporate and grower value
- Work with a multidisciplinary team, including direct reports, to accelerate and develop edited products and support broader product adoption in targeted markets
- Leads technical activities to assist advancement of multiple projects concurrently through the Stage Gate product development process
- Manage budgets and resources needed for project development and team support.
- Assist with the regulatory strategy and execution to enable field testing of Inari’s product pipeline while ensuring our Freedom to Operate (FTO)
- Partner with Legal and Intellectual Property (IP) teams to ensure that all related efforts are following FTO and IP valuation processes
- Provide regular and timely updates on project status, key milestones, challenges and next steps to key stakeholders and leadership
- Develop an organizational culture that creates a great place to work, best in class positive work environment and growth of individuals
- Preference is for M.S. or PhD degree in Agronomy or Ag Business with 5 to 10+ years of industry experience in breeding, trait introgression, product evaluation, and/or technical product management. Willing to consider B.S. degree with proven years of experience.
- An in-depth understanding of all aspects of the seed business, with expertise in germplasm, product testing and evaluation, and commercialization
- A willingness to travel domestically and globally for collaboration interactions
- Good understanding of product lifecycle management
- An understanding of product performance evaluation and characterization, agronomic practices, and growing environment differences
- Demonstrated track record of business acumen and strategic and tactical decision making capability
- Aptitude for working with and learning technical information along with attention to detail
- A strong sense of purpose and drive to develop unique, high impact solutions
- Adaptability and enthusiasm for new challenges, innate curiosity, and a passion for learning
- Creative and strategic thinking, willingness to be bold and take risks, and the capacity to recognize and learn from failure
- Ability to work both independently and a collaborative mindset that is open to giving and receiving ideas, perspectives, and feedback
- An effective communicator with a diverse range of individuals and audiences
- Strong understanding of corn and soybean product development and licensing business is a plus
- Understanding of supply chain quality requirements and processes
- Previous people management experience