Elanco has an exciting opportunity to join our growing innovative and collaborative tax team as we execute our vision to become a high performing tech-forward tax department, taking command over our data and enabling increased analytics through the use of data wrangling, automation and visualization tools. Our commitment to this vision is demonstrated by our commitment of resources, including a newly created Tax Technology Manager position, training plans and technology license budgets to meet our needs and collaboration with an external service firm to develop a tax technology platform and process roadmap aligned to Elanco’s unique needs as a highly acquisitive and growing global #2 company in animal health.
The Director-Domestic Income Tax reports to the Sr. Director, Federal & State Tax and Global Process Owner and has three direct reports. This key role in the global tax department, is responsible for leading the preparation and review of all domestic income tax returns, developing and implementing an efficient quarterly cash tax projection and estimated payment process, supporting the annual income tax provision process and leading domestic tax planning initiatives, including supporting M&A and ensuring tax-efficient integration of acquisitions.
The Ideal Candidate would be driven by the mission of the Company, has the personal drive and passion to understand and successfully navigate in a dynamic environment and stands accountable for all elements of your functional responsibility. A strategic thinker, you define a clear picture of future direction and objectives and develop a comprehensive implementation plan. You thrive when you can make an impact by leaving your stamp on the processes adopted. You prioritize developing your team to be successful future leaders with similar capabilities and bringing them along with the vision. You enjoy flexible working arrangements, but you appreciate and understand the value of in-office collaboration and relationship building and know that the better you understand the business, the better advisor you can be.
- Own and direct the Consolidated federal, state and US International income tax compliance process
- Develop and oversee efficient quarterly cash tax projection and estimated tax payment process
- Manage all processes related to amended income tax returns and acquisition short period filings
- Lead out-sourced R&D tax credit study and develop/execute multi-year plan to in-source the project
- Perform research and draft technical tax memos documenting the Company’s tax positions
- Support domestic tax planning projects, including recurring and non-recurring transactions, acquisitions, divestitures, restructuring and other strategic issues
- Efficiently integrate acquired companies and report equity transactions and investments
- Identify and investigate opportunities for reducing federal and state income taxes
- Monitor legislative changes and proposals and assess impact on current tax strategy
- Successfully interact with other departments ensuring highest level of service and collaboration
- Manage team resources in coordination with the Manager – Domestic Income Tax Compliance
- Cultivate positive employee engagement through hiring, developing and retaining top talent
- Able to communicate complicated tax issues in clear non-technical terms to non-tax colleagues
- Bachelor’s degree in Tax, Accounting or Finance
- CPA or equivalent
- 10+ years of progressive corporate tax experience
- 5+ years of progressive experience within a Big 4 accounting firm preferred
- 5+ years of progressive experience within a complex, SEC registrant company preferred
- Strong tax planning and research skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects and manage critical timelines
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Comprehensive understanding of federal, state and US international income tax
- Excellent skills with the MS Suite: SharePoint, Teams, OneNote, Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- MST/LLM or JD
- Experience with CorpTax, BNA, SAP, MS Power platform
- Experience with Data Analytics systems (Alteryx, Tableau, Excel)
- Strategic Mindset: looks toward the future and designs a way to get there
- Cultivates Innovation: Finds, champions, and implements innovations – large or small
- Plans & Aligns: Establishes priorities and desired outcomes, and creates plans to achieve them
- Drives Results: Pursues everything with energy and resourcefulness to achieve desired outcome
- Collaborates: Works with a variety of colleagues, seeking win-wins solutions building strong relationships
- Drives Engagement: Creates a motivating work environment and empowers others
- Develops Talent: Actively seeks opportunities to develop self and others
- Courageous: Tackles difficult issues timely with optimism and transparency
- Adaptable: Ability to pivot against high priority initiatives and navigate ambiguity
- Work Ethic: A superior work ethic and dedication to the highest work quality and job excellence.
- Has fun: A good sense of humor and doesn’t take oneself too seriously
- Analytical: Superior problem-solving skills required; plan and execute at strategic and tactical levels.
- Problem solver: Exceptional problem-solving and strategic skills, combined with business acumen.
- Perceptive communication: Ability to effectively convey tax issues to non-tax colleagues and especially skilled at communicating with upper management
- Organizationally savvy: Able to challenge the status quo respectfully, and act as a catalyst within the organization. Confident but personable individual, able to work collaboratively inside and outside the tax department and build bridges at all levels of the enterprise.
- Minimal travel
- Overtime will be required at peak times
- Worker Type: Flexible = work does not require a specific location or specialized equipment and can work successfully and productively across an ecosystem of different locations to support convenience, functionality, flexibility
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status