Inari is the SEEDesign™ company. We embrace the diversity and complexity of nature in every aspect of our business to drive innovation – to push the boundaries of what is possible. Through our unrivaled technology platform, Inari uses predictive design and advanced multiplex gene editing to develop step-change products. We are taking a nature positive approach to unlock the full potential of seed that will transform the food system. The results will lead to more productive acres delivering value creation for farmers and a more sustainable future for our planet.
Our success is dependent on great minds, collaborating to generate bright ideas and deliver exceptional outcomes.
We have over 200 employees, with research sites in Cambridge, MA (USA) and Ghent (Belgium), as well as a product development site in West Lafayette, IN (USA). We’ve deliberately built a team that brings diversity of thought to all aspects of our business, to generate new ideas, approaches, and ways of operating. And we’ve intentionally combined experience with potential, bringing agriculture industry experts with the desire to innovate together with bright minds from academia, human therapeutics, software, and consulting. If you want to be part of a diverse and inclusive team developing unique solutions to feed the world while protecting our planet’s natural resources, we’d love to hear from you!
About the role….
This is a great opportunity for an exceptionally talented commercial breeder to join the INARI organization. This role will be accountable for developing and executing the commercial breeding pipeline at INARI, mostly consisting of corn but also including soybeans, or other critical crops for the Company. This role will closely collaborate with the Edited Pipeline Lead, Trait Introgression Breeding Lead and the commercial organization to identify the germplasm pipeline and manage collaboration and proprietary germplasm, as well as the pre-foundation seed increases. This role will manage the line developer breeders for the crops supporting the PreCommercial and Late Product Development VP. This role is based in West Lafayette, Indiana.
As the Commercial Breeder, you will…
- Direct creation and execution of the line developments strategies, aligned with the Corn and Soy line development organizations
- Work collaboratively to incorporate novel technologies in the breeding process to accelerate the rate of genetic gain
- Drive collaboration germplasm use and collaborate with accessing strategy creations with the commercial teams. Determine the proper metrics to assess collaborators germplasm use and breeding value and work with the Collaborations Manager to communicate back to the different providers.
- Drive pre-commercial corn hybrid creations using state of the art technology. Closely collaborate with computational breeding to identify proprietary and proprietary by collaboration combinations
- Create testing strategies to support product evaluation and Computational Breeding, and collaborate with operations in execution
- Creates and execute strategy to accelerate time to market of pre-commercial and commercial hybrids and varieties development
- Closely partner with edited pipeline development to identify editing germplasm
- Support the overall efforts of Product Development
- Preference is for M.S. or PhD degree in Agronomy or Ag Business with 5 to 10+ years of industry experience in breeding, trait introgression, product evaluation, and/or technical product management. Willing to consider B.S. degree with proven years of experience
- An in-depth understanding of all aspects of the seed business, with expertise in germplasm, product testing and evaluation, and commercialization
- A willingness to travel extensively domestically and globally for collaboration interactions
- Good understanding of product lifecycle management
- An understanding of product performance evaluation and characterization, agronomic practices, and growing environment differences
- Demonstrated track record of business acumen and strategic and tactical decision making capability
- Ability to tackle complex problems and drive quality results
- Aptitude for working with and learning technical information along with attention to detail
- Experience with process development, implementation, and management
- A strong sense of purpose and drive to develop unique, high impact solutions
- Adaptability and enthusiasm for new challenges, innate curiosity, and a passion for learning
- Creative and strategic thinking, willingness to be bold and take risks, and the ability to recognize and learn from failure
- A collaborative mindset that is open to giving and receiving ideas, perspectives, and feedback
- Ability to work both independently and deliver on responsibilities within a highly collaborative environment
- Ability to effectively communicate with a diverse range of individuals and audiences
- Strong understanding of corn and soybean product development and licensing business is a plus
- Understanding of supply chain quality requirements and processes
- Previous people management experience