Interested in joining a cause-driven, customer focused company dedicated to positively impacting the health of animals, people and the planet? Search our job listings below.
Overview: Reporting to the Executive Vice President, General Counsel & Secretary, this position will be responsible for proactively managing and overseeing the legal risk profile and setting strategy for all legal areas in the US Elanco business including commercial, regulatory and, business advisory matters, and will also be responsible for managing the entire US commercial legal team, managing outside counsel, partnering with the US business to enable sustainable business growth and implement other legal processes. This position will play a critical leadership role on the Legal team and will work in close partnership with business leaders throughout the Company.
Company: Elanco Animal Health (NYSE: ELAN), with over 10,000 employees, $3.27B in revenue in 2020 and a market cap of $14.47B, provides those who raise and care for animals with solutions that empower them to advance a vision of food and companionship enriching life. Elanco understands the powerful role healthy animals play in making lives better. As pets increasingly become important parts of families, so too does the need to help them live longer, healthier, higher-quality lives. As the global population grows, so too will the need to meet the demand for safe, affordable food for all. Continued growth is expected by delivering meaningful innovation, growing top line results and expanding margins. Elanco’s over 200 brands are sold in 90 countries. For more information, please go to: https://www.elanco.com.
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits.
Experience: The successful candidate will have at least ten (10) years of legal experience gained in private practice and as in-house counsel in roles of increasing responsibility with an emphasis on commercial counseling and commercial transactions. The right candidate will have significant experience managing complex legal matters as well as leading and managing a team of attorneys and legal associates. He/She/They will have comprehensive knowledge and understanding of commercial contracting and working knowledge of US antitrust laws and competition/pricing laws. Previous experience successfully counseling senior business leaders throughout the Americas, as well as experience managing teams, outside counsel, and legal spend and budget is strongly preferred. Experience working with and/or managing/setting Legal Operations strategy is extremely valuable. The right candidate will also have demonstrated leadership and management skills, strong interpersonal skills and a proven track record of effectively working in a company’s global environment. A combination of in-house experience and in private practice in the animal health, pharmaceutical, or a related industry on a global basis is preferred.
Relocation: This is a national search. Preference for this role is at Elanco’s corporate headquarters in Greenfield, IN (Indianapolis, IN). However a remote working arrangement can be supported with the ability to travel to headquarters as needed.
Bar Admission: Licensed to practice in Indiana or admitted to a State Bar of any US State or the District of Columbia (and able to be admitted to the Indiana Bar within six (6) months following the commencement of the position).
Elanco provides those who raise and care for animals with solutions that empower them to advance a vision of food and companionship enriching life. It understands the powerful role healthy animals play in making lives better. As pets increasingly become important parts of families, so too does the need to help them live longer, healthier, higher-quality lives. As the global population grows, so too will the need to meet the demand for safe, affordable food for all.
Since its start at Eli Lilly and Company in 1954, Elanco has been working to empower its customers—from veterinarians to food producers to all those concerned with animal health—to address these global challenges, and advance a vision of food and companionship enriching life. Elanco strives to develop and deliver products safe for consumers, animals and the environment through innovation and a shared vision to enrich the life of people worldwide. In September 2018, Elanco became a stand-alone public company.
The Deputy General Counsel, US is a critical leadership position at the Company and will work with Elanco’s General Counsel, Legal Leadership Team and business leaders. The Deputy General Counsel will have proven, successful, progressively responsible leadership, management and execution experience. The right candidate will work closely with the leaders of Elanco’s business and will be expected to problem-solve in a quick and efficient manner while utilizing strong legal and business judgment. The Deputy General Counsel will have extensive experience handling transactional matters, and will partner with colleagues on projects across the Company. This person will serve as a leader within the Legal department and will be responsible for managing a team of lawyers in the United States.
Key responsibilities of the Deputy General Counsel, US include but are not limited to:
- Ensuring excellence in the delivery of legal services to the Elanco business across the region.
- Providing business-oriented leadership, strategic advice, proactive operational legal support and counsel at all levels of the business on a wide variety of legal issues while ensuring strategies, programs, policies, practices, and initiatives comply with laws.
- Handling complex and sensitive assignments; recommending effective strategies and tactics; advising on legal rights, obligations and privileges.
- Advising the senior leadership team and various business partners on critical decisions with significant legal ramifications.
- Member of and participant in various Elanco business teams/committees with responsibility for advising on legal and business issues.
- Supervising, developing and managing lawyers, paralegals and other team members. Actively serves as a leader, positive role model and teacher regarding Elanco’s mission, vision and values, legal counseling and business skills.
- Reviewing and approving marketing, advertising, promotional and regulatory materials and correspondence as well as public statements and press releases.
- Developing an array of policies and procedures for the Legal function.
- Advising on legal aspects of Company’s Ethics and Compliance policies, programs and procedures.
- Providing strategic legal support for the various functional areas of the business including HR, manufacturing strategy, procurement, among several others.
- Providing training to management and business groups on relevant/new legal topics and issues.
- Managing outside counsel as appropriate, including management of the US commercial legal budgets.
- Actively collaborate with and help set strategy for Legal Operations at Elanco.
Qualifications and Skills
This position requires an exceptionally accomplished attorney with a distinguished professional record and a strong business orientation. Personal and professional ‘fit’ within Elanco’s culture is of paramount importance. Candidates must be self-motivated and exhibit a passion for understanding the business and contributing in a meaningful way to its strategy and long term strategic goals. In addition to possessing the requisite legal and technical skills, the successful candidate must approach this role from an experienced business perspective and demonstrate a high degree of ethics and integrity, as well as strategic/conceptual thinking capabilities.
- J.D. from an accredited law school and qualified to practice law in Indiana or the ability to be admitted in six (6) months. In good standing in all jurisdictions to which a candidate has been admitted.
- At least ten (10) years of experience gained in a law firm and as in-house counsel in roles of increasing responsibility with an emphasis on general commercial counseling.
- Previous in-house experience in the animal health, pharmaceutical or a related industry on a global basis is preferred.
- Experience leading and managing a team of attorneys as in-house counsel.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of commercial contracting and working knowledge of US antitrust laws and competition/pricing laws.
- Demonstrated high level of competency managing complex programs and/or organizations and functioning in a matrixed environment.
- Experience leading or the ability to lead large scale, complex legal projects and to propose practical options for meeting client business goals within applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
- Strong leadership skills (critical thinking, results oriented, etc.), including a strong reputation for integrity and sound judgment.
- Ability to translate ambiguity and complexity into a meaningful, actionable framework.
- A bias towards action with a proactive nature and the ability to see around corners.
- A demonstrated commitment to Diversity & Inclusion and a strong track record of promoting and supporting D&I efforts within an organization.
- Familiarity with, sensitivity to, and willing to embrace international cultural differences.
- Superior intellect, with the ability to think critically and make clear and well-reasoned decisions; ability to see and handle more than the legal issues of a project; strong, pragmatic business acumen with the ability to recognize the broader consequences of legal advice; a strategic and innovative thinker who can bring value to his or her clients and find creative solutions to complex legal problems.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate (both orally and in written form) effectively with senior business leaders and other professionals and colleagues at all levels of an organization while utilizing excellent business and legal judgment in complex situations.
- Must be a team player and have the ability to build rapport with a diverse range of business and legal partners.
- Unquestioned integrity, credibility and judgment.
- Quick study, able to spot issues quickly, handle complex matters, with multiple initiatives going on simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to network internally and externally to influence without authority.
- High level of professional maturity and sensitivity to confidentiality.
- Position requires some domestic and international travel.
ELANCO ANIMAL HEALTH IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND ENCOURAGES DIVERSE CANDIDATES TO APPLY.
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status