Corteva Agriscience has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated student to join our Alternate Crop Engineering group of Applied Science & Technology as a Crop Genome Engineering Intern. Position duration is from May to August 2022. Join us at Corteva Agriscience in Johnston Iowa to help tackle important agricultural challenges and help secure a reliable and sustainable food supply across the world for years to come.
As an intern you will contribute to the improvement of plant transformation protocols in multiple crop varieties. In this lab-based internship, you will be exposed to a broad range of cutting-edge technologies and will work closely with scientists in an industrial setting. This position offers an outstanding opportunity for you to willing to learn tissue culture and transformation techniques and grow in a world-class ag biotech industry.
Responsibilities – What You’ll Do:
- Follow the direction of supervisors and carry out transformation or genome editing experiments and collect data from experiments
- Participate in new technology development or process improvement activities include experimental plan, testing of hypothesis, making observation, data collection and analysis
- Follow company safety policies, protocols, and procedures, and ensure a safe working environment for self and team members
- Participate in team supporting activities such as explant preparation, equipment maintenance, media assessment or improvement, culture room maintenance, process improvement, or information management
- Provide technical support and conduct experiment with a respectful, collaborative, and positive team spirit
- Provide summaries and reports to supervisors, and present results in company or outside meetings when necessary
Qualifications – What You’ll Bring:
- Students in a Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree program in plant science, biological science, genetics, or related field such as horticulture or biotechnology, and preference goes to candidates with lab experience.
- Current cumulative GPA of 3.0+
- Plant tissue culture and transformation experience would be preferred but not required. Knowledge and experience in general lab operation is necessary for the job.
- Helpful experience includes following procedures or instructions, carrying out experiments independently, sampling, and detailed record keeping. Ability to maintain complete, accurate and timely records of experimental data and procedures.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office software, and experience in databases and/or LIMS systems is a plus.
- This job also requires excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Willingness to support a high-quality laboratory environment through custodianship of equipment and strict adherence to lab safety practices.
- Ability to function both independently and as a respectful team member.