The Assistant General Counsel, Patents, is a leading legal IP role in our department, encompassing prosecution, portfolio management and leading internal client engagement; the role is an additional role, reporting into the Global Intellectual Property (IP) function.
- Responsible for counselling a business area on patent & related rights
- Identifying inventions and drafting patent applications
- Prosecuting patent applications directly with the USPTO & worldwide though our network of agents; directing agents, junior others and foreign associates
- Reviewing intellectual property related clauses in a variety of agreements
- Conducting IP due diligence in connection with any potential acquisitions or divestitures
- Resolving routine and moderately complex IP matters with minimal supervision
- Developing and reporting on associated competitive data analytics with client focus
- Scientific undergraduate degree
- Juris Doctor or equivalent post-graduate legal degree
- At least six (6) years in practice and experience in providing legal counsel on patent matters with a major corporation or law firm
- Significant experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications directed to small molecule API, polymorphs, crystal forms, salts, chemical synthesis, methods of use, pharmacokinetics, and/or pharmaceutical formulations. As well as understanding of analytical data regarding small molecule identification and characterization, in support of patent prosecution.
- Clear and proven understanding of global interplay of regulatory and patent frameworks, as well as being able to develop a portfolio strategy benefitting the business’ assets while optimizing the balance of competing issues.
- Proven experience (with a clear understanding), with tangible examples, of the role of patents in the context of small molecule API product lifecycle management.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of US patent law & practice
- Familiarity with patent systems in major jurisdictions
- Active USPTO and State bar registrations in good standing
- Demonstrated ability to perform successfully in cross-functional teams
- Be able to handle multiple projects in fast-paced environment and exercise sound legal judgement
- Capable of providing legal and strategic guidance to senior management and functional organizational leadership
- In addition to top-notch legal skills, must have excellent interpersonal, strategic thinking, communication, and organizational skills.
- Applies innovative problem-solving skills and judgment to assist in managing corporate risk
- Delivers work product within business constraints in a demanding environment while balancing competing client requests
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Elanco Animal Health does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position.
Additional Skills & Preferences:
- Advanced degree(s) in chemistry or biochemistry
- Familiarity with the animal health or crop science industry
- Strong business acumen and mindset towards collaboration
- Previous in-house experience
- Preferred litigation, IPR, opposition, transactional, agreement and M&A/D experience
- Six Sigma certification
- Location: This role can be located anywhere in the US with ability to travel to Elanco’s corporate headquarters in Greenfield, IN, as needed.
- Travel: 0-10%
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status