At Corteva Agriscience, you will help us grow what’s next. No matter what your role, you will be part of a team that is building the future of agriculture – solving the world’s food problems through innovation, technology, and putting people first.
We are seeking to hire a Controlled Environment Grower to be based at our Global Business Center in Indianapolis, IN.
As a Greenhouse Grower, the successful candidate will oversee and optimize plant production in controlled environments for research uses. The grower should have expertise in controlled environment horticulture, IPM, plant nutrition, and controlled environment technology. Strong communication, training, management, and supervisory skills, as well as knowledge of safety and environmental regulations are critical for success. Basic Computer and recordkeeping skills are essential for daily operations.
How will you help us grow? It matters to us, and it matters to you!
- Assist in all aspects of plant production including integrated pest management (IPM), environmental control, plant care, contract labor planning and scheduling.
- Develop and maintain current knowledge of growing techniques and technologies for a variety of row crops and weeds.
- Partner with key stakeholders across Crop Protection Discovery & Development to ensure plant production research needs are on target.
- Monitor greenhouse/plant growth chamber environments to ensure compliance with hygiene, health, and safety standards.
- Ensure standard operating procedures (SOPs) are followed and kept current in daily controlled environment tasks.
- Oversee plant nutrition including daily and longer-term nutrition strategies. Ensure fertilizer stock tanks are filled, order fertilizer, monitor and maintain appropriate fertigation pH & EC.
- Pest and disease management, including recommending and implementing weekly and long-term pest control strategies, incorporating integrated pest management (IPM).
- Lead and participate in projects to improve plant quality, safety, and controlled environment operation efficiency.
- Successful completion of Pesticide Course and ensuring employees/contractors involved in pest app receives appropriate training.
- Spray and apply fungicides, insecticides, fertilizers and herbicides, as well as biological predator applications according to schedule dictated by Greenhouse Team Leaders.
- Maintain detailed and accurate records of all pesticide applications.
- Support greenhouse team in other activities as assigned by Greenhouse Team Leaders.
- Be a strong communicator, and a member of our team.
What expertise have you grown? What do you bring to the table?
- Bachelor’s degree in horticulture, plant science, agronomy, or related field plus 5 – 7 years’ experience in controlled environment agriculture .
- Master’s degree in horticulture, plant science, agronomy, or related field plus 1-2 years’ experience in controlled environment agriculture .
- Experience with agrochemical: fertilizers, chemicals, and water, including calculation of amounts, proportions, percentages, and volume for application.
- Knowledge of Identification of plant diseases and IPM.
- Strong verbal, and written communication skills to train team members and interact at all levels of the organization
Working conditions / Physical Requirements:
- Must be comfortable working in temperatures above 80 degrees .
- Ability to stoop, kneel, crouch and bend and lift about 50 lb.
- Open to occasional odd hours work including weekends.
- Must be authorized to work in the US
Let’s peek at how you can grow your wellbeing, health, and future at Corteva!
– Strike a better work-life balance with robust time off benefits including paid maternity, paternal and family illness leave
– Prepare for your future with our competitive retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement program, and more
– Enjoy access to health benefits for you and your family on your first day of employment
– And much, much more!
Ready to grow your perspectives…? We seek applicants from all backgrounds to ensure we get the best, most creative talent on our team. Start applying to this opportunity today.
Corteva Agriscience™ is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to boldly embracing the power of inclusion, diversity, and equity to enrich the lives of our employees and strengthen the performance of our company, while advancing equity in agriculture. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other protected class. Discrimination, harassment and retaliation are inconsistent with our values and will not be tolerated.