Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST) is a dynamic medium size environmental consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada. We are looking for a full-time Senior Biologist/Wildlife Biologist/Ecologist – Project Manager to manage work in the Midwest Region, ideally located in the Indianapolis/Bloomington area in Indiana. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
WEST’s Bloomington office is located in the heart of downtown and currently has a team of over 20 full-time office based and remote regionally based staff members. The Bloomington team is composed of professionals including biologist/wildlife biologists/ecologists, restoration ecologists, bat biologists, detection dog handlers, Geographic Information System (GIS) technicians, and data management personnel. The office works on a range of projects, primarily in the wind and solar industries. The office hosts regular events such as pitch-in lunches and happy hours and the team works to participate in local conservation efforts including bat house builds and regional bioblitzes.
Additionally, the office is frequently visited by regional senior managers. Bloomington is a mid-sized town of approximately 85,000 people and home to Indiana University. Bloomington offers an abundance of things to do, from live music and festivals to museums and weekly farmers markets. Bloomington has a wide array of restaurants, ranging from comfort food to international cuisine, and is home to a number of breweries, a winery, and a distillery. Bloomington is also in close proximity to open space with opportunities for numerous recreational activities including hiking, caving, hunting, canoeing, and cycling.
Please click here to see what benefits WEST offers!
Ideal candidates will have experience and expertise in wildlife study design, business development, managing projects, and environmental consulting. Candidates will be responsible for managing projects related to wildlife surveys for various industries, including renewable energy, transmission lines, pipelines, transportation, oil and gas, Department of Defense, and other industries or service areas where appropriate. The candidate will have an initial focus on the Western U.S.
The minimum base salary for the position is $95,000, plus annual bonus, retirement plan, potential to become a shareholder within WEST, and comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans for WEST employees and their families. Base salary will be based upon education, professional certifications, and previous work experience.
WEST’s Senior Biologist – Project Managers work individually, as well as with a team of natural resource specialists, scientists and biometricians.
- Natural Resource Project Oversight:
- Lead and organize projects focused on assisting clients with natural resource challenges during project development or operation,
- federal and/or state-level permitting support for renewable energy projects, linear projects, and other variable development projects,
- Manage pre- and post-construction field studies for energy and other development projects.
- Coordinate with local/state/federal agencies.
- Administration of projects:
- Prepare reports, proposals and provide quality assurance of data,
- Environmental consulting focused on assisting clients with wildlife or natural resource issues related to project development or operation.
- Oversee projects including leading and organizing:
- Pre-construction, post-construction mortality monitoring; renewable energy projects; linear projects and other variable development projects; wildlife field design and setup field studies.
- Manage project teams, deliverables and budgets for multiple projects,
- Train and manage field coordinators and technicians,
- Supervise and direct field studies and staff.
- Promote health and safety.
- Market WEST’s capabilities.
- Foster current business relationships and promote new business development efforts.
- This position will require overnight travel.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties that may be associated with this position.
The successful candidate must be a self-starter who possesses:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in biological studies, natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent.
- Previous natural resource/wildlife project management experience (10+ years), including budgeting and proposal writing experience, environmental consulting work, and professional scientific experience.
- As well as previous professional experience in environmental consulting the following are desired
- Avian and/or bat ecology are the target areas of technical expertise sought, but experience in wetland delineation, plant identification, or other areas of ecology potentially of interest to commercial clients will also be considered
- Experience with interpretation of statistical analyses
- Knowledge and understanding of the WEGs, ECPG, MBTA, and ESA
- Track record of maintaining positive relationships with coworkers, clients or stakeholders.
- Strong, competent writing skills with the ability to pay close attention to detail and accurately report the scientific methods and results of field studies.
- Wildlife biology technical knowledge and knowledge of regional wildlife
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.