Commercial Manager – New Haven/Montpelier, IN
This is a full time exempt position
MAIN FUNCTION: Reporting to the Regional Manager of Central Indiana Region the position is accountable for leading the successful integration of two recently acquired Grain Origination assets in northeastern Indiana . You will be accountable for leading a team of Grain Originators and CSRs, setting and implementing strategies to enhance grain origination efforts with the goal of filling these assets with corn, soybeans, and wheat during the harvest time window. You will lead the team in learning and embracing the ADM safety culture. Further key responsibilities includes management of delivery of existing producer contracts that were in place prior to acquisition of the company. You will work hand in hand with C IN regional trading team to establish bid structures and set discount schedules to achieve financial objectives while also maximizing origination efforts. You will be responsible for running the location risk management in accordance with corporate policy; developing strategies that match with our corporate objectives and executing these strategies utilizing corporate and staff resources as deemed necessary, including the development of trading and inventory liquidation strategies Inventory condition monitoring and management will be a critical risk management item. Supporting/leading broader trading and arbitrage opportunities for the good of the ADM enterprise (versus the good of the location) is also a critical function. You will represent the company on various industry related initiatives as required.
Key skills & competencies:
• Strong communication skills
• Achievement Motivation
• Conceptual Thinking
• Dealing with Failure
• Information Seeking
• Organizational Awareness
• Impact & Influence
• Analytical Thinking
• Self-Confidence & Leadership
• Developing Others
Description of work performed:
- Develops, implements and directs the location business plan, including asset utilization, market development, strategic alignments, logistics and divisional objectives
- Leads and actively participates in all aspects of marketing primarily within regional domestic markets, with the goal of improving Archer Daniels Midland profitability within a dynamic operating environment
- Lead Grain Origination team in: utilization of ADM contract alternatives, time management, facilitating relationship building with producer customers and prospects
- Assist Regional Commercial Manager in goal setting for GOS and CSR teams and implementation of strategies to ensure those goals are met
- Build out strategy for volume growth and expansion within the territory
- Facilitate strategies to grow and develop specialty programs such as Plenish and nongmo for delivery into these assets
- Develop Differentiation strategy for the New Haven and Montpelier region and fully implement
- Interacts with key customer accounts and maintains ongoing and regular communications with customers to improve relationships and customer service
- Ensures that the location is effectively utilizing their human resources to maximize our profits through marketing programs and customer/logistical services
- Maintains ongoing and regular communications with the production and operations management, merchandising, clerical and production staff to ensure market direction and the growth and maintenance of strong business relationships
- Work closely with production and operations management to monitor and manage grain condition and implement appropriate inventory liquidation plans that minimize risk and meet end-use customer quality requirements.
- Directs and leads the implementation of marketing strategies such that we achieve or exceed our divisional targets
- Identifies and analyzes potential key supplier and end-user market opportunities within domestic markets for raw materials and protein and directs the strategies such that we profitably penetrate these markets
- Develops key communication links within ADM to ensure optimal use of Archer Daniels Midland facilities and market access, an understanding and awareness of market requirements, establish relationships and facilitate the effectiveness of integrated NA processing and Ag Services operations
- Maintains an up to date knowledge of market trends and competitor activities, revising marketing strategies and programs to capitalize on found opportunities
- Represents the processing group on various external meetings, committees and associations in developing and influencing the processing industry and promoting ADM interests
- Leads location human resources in order to ensure excellence and an awareness and dedication to divisional and group goals and objectives. Builds an environment which cultivates collaboration and continuous improvement
- Tracks progress towards the achievement of business plans and objectives, as outlined, and initiates action as required
- Directs the development and provision of training and support to ADM staff regarding professional development
- Prepares and submits regular and ad hoc reports to management regarding achievements, opportunities, and issues.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
University degree in agriculture or business (i.e. economics, finance, accounting) supplemented with a minimum of three (3) years progressively responsible experience in the marketing of commodities and related food, feed and/or fuel products in North America. Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered. A master’s degree is considered to be an asset. Validated capacity to excel within high risk, dynamic work environment. Shown ability to assess risk and exercise good judgment in making decisions. Proven negotiation and social skills. Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the domestic & international trade. Shown ability to lead effectively within a team based work environment. Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with end-users, suppliers, and internal customers. Computer competent, with proven ability in the use of spreadsheet, database and word processing software applications within a windows based operating environment
At ADM, we unlock the power of nature to provide access to nutrition worldwide. With industry-advancing innovations, a complete portfolio of ingredients and solutions to meet any taste, and a commitment to sustainability, we give customers an edge in solving the nutritional challenges of today and tomorrow. We’re a global leader in human and animal nutrition and the world’s premier agricultural origination and processing company. Our breadth, depth, insights, facilities and logistical expertise give us unparalleled capabilities to meet needs for food, beverages, health and wellness, and more. From the seed of the idea to the outcome of the solution, we enrich the quality of life the world over. Learn more at www.adm.com.
ADM is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability and veterans status.