Join us. Do work that matters!
MobilizeGreen seeks a 32-week conservation-minded Civil Engineer Resource Assistant (RA). The Engineering Resource Assistant (RA) will assist with a variety of Facilities, Recreation and Transportation Projects on the Hoosier National Forest. The projects to include design,
site/field surveying, condition surveys, inventories, project inspection and hands on installation/construction. The position will work with personnel predominately from engineering, but also across all programs (recreation, ecosystem, fire, lands, surveying, etc.) on the Forest.
The Resource Assistant’s Program is designed for emerging professionals to launch their natural and cultural resources careers. The RA will receive hands-on learning experience, mentorship, and coaching to complete mission-critical work while developing leadership, critical thinking, and strategic communication skills.
MobilizeGreen is an organization committed to diversity. Women, people of color, indigenous people, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, military veterans, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are encouraged to apply.
Location: The Hoosier National Forest encompasses nearly 204,000 acres in South Central Indiana stretching south from Bloomington to the Ohio River and is located within a drive of two hours or less from Cincinnati, Ohio; Evansville and Indianapolis, Indiana; and Louisville, Kentucky. Two ranger districts include the Brownstown District in Bedford, Indiana and the Tell City District in Tell City, Indiana. The Bedford office is in commuting distance from Blooming Indiana home of Indiana University with abundant university town activities.
The Hoosier National Forest sits in the unglaciated hills of Southern Indiana. The Forest provides a range of opportunities and resources for people to enjoy. The many recreation opportunities including camping, fishing, hiking, horseback riding, hunting, mountain bike riding, and viewing scenery. The only congressionally designated wilderness in Indiana, the 13,000 acre Charles C. Deam Wilderness provides opportunities for users desiring higher levels of solitude. In addition the Forest has over 265 miles of trails for hiking, biking, or horseback riding.
Term: 32 weeks, starting June 6, 2022; Full Time/40 hours per week
Host Unit: Hoosier/Brownstown Ranger District
Duty Station: 811 Constitution Ave., Bedford, IN 47421
- $750 per week living allowance (stipend)
- Housing stipend of $1000 per month
- Hands on learning and job training experience
- Site travel stipend eligible
- 2-year direct hiring certificate with the Forest Service (with successful completion and 960 hours completion)
- Health insurance eligible
- Mentorship for career and professional development
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with engineering staff to complete the Hoosier National Forests Program of Work to include the following
- Help prepare project designs, drawings, and specifications for transportation, facilities, dams, water & waste water systems, etc.
- Assisting in completing inventories, safety inspections and condition surveys of existing roads and structures on the forest.
- Assist with maintenance projects to eliminate maintenance and safety hazards on the Forest.
- Provide technical advice to other program areas within your expertise to help trouble shoot problems, reduce cost or make things more efficient.
- Assist with calibrations of early warning systems on our high hazard dams or controls of the wastewater treatment plant.
- Provide assistance with the process to acquire a new leased facility for the Bedford Office.
Work Environment: Projects will include a good balance of work in the office and in the field. The RA will be required to travel and work independently and in teams across the Hoosier National Forest, at times in remote locations. Field working conditions can be hot & humid and require a good amount of walking in rolling terrain.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or similar field of study
- Basic skills in AutoCAD preferred.
- Course work in civil engineering transportation systems, facilities, water & wastewater systems, or hydrology.
- Experience through work or school projects that required teamwork and civil engineering type project design.
- Direct experience working in the civil engineering or construction field a plus.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license.
Competitive selection process, positions filled on a rolling basis. We encourage you to apply ASAP.