INTERN – CROP HEALTH TECHNICIAN
FLSA Status: Part Time/ Non-Exempt
Reports to: Intern Coordinator
Summary: The Crop Health Intern is responsible for taking timely tissue and soil samples in the field at required growth stages. The Crop Health Intern will scout assigned customer fields for all crop-related conditions, including disease and pest-management issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Works closely with Ceres Solutions Intern Coordinators, and other members of Ceres Solutions agronomy team to take tissue and soil samples.
- Uses logistics software to get to field assignments.
- Uses available technology to assist in tissue testing in the field to record sampling location, document crop stage and other info.
- Deliver tissue and soil samples to UPS daily for shipment to laboratory.
- Is responsible for sending tissue samples out for testing (materials provided).
- Takes other samples such as soil or nematode samples as requested (training will be provided).
- Scout fields based off of drone scouting results.
- Attend training and development opportunities offered by the Intern Coordinators.
- Focused attention on learning plant stages, soil conditions, diseases, insect and weed identification.
- Job shadow Ceres employees as time allows.
- Maintains and safely operates a Ceres Solutions vehicle.
- Communicates status with branch personnel and provides occasional special project support at branch locations.
- Exposure to how sales staff/agronomist communicate with customers regarding data and results.
- Prepare an intern completion presentation and present it to intern group and management.
- Familiarity and use of smart phone technology, Microsoft Suite products or similar.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The candidate will have an exceptional work ethic, a positive attitude, professionalism and be self-motivated. The candidate will be highly responsible, flexible and dedicated to deliver results in seasons of highest demand. The candidate must work well within a team and communicate clearly. Must communicate effectively; dresses and presents appropriately to customers and management. The candidate must be reliable, dedicated to complete long hours, and be an independent problem solver. The candidate must adhere to the core values of Ceres Solutions Cooperative. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Valid CDL with required endorsements. Possession of license or immediate ability to obtain.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; extreme cold and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Ceres Solutions is an equal opportunity employer. Prospective candidates receive consideration without discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, non-job-related disability, veteran status, other protected group status, or any condition prescribed by state or local law. The company provides Job Descriptions for positions to aid in orienting candidates to potential opportunities. The description identifies basic requirements, criteria and expectations. It also provides a basis for making reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities. Job descriptions are periodically revised, and are not to be considered all-inclusive. This description does not cover every task or duty that might be assigned, and additional responsibilities will be added at the discretion of the Supervisor as necessary. Thank you for your interest in Ceres Solutions.