PURPOSE AND SCOPE
This position will implement and manage a high-throughput maize genotyping lab and will coordinate lab personnel, evaluate DNA isolation and genotyping technology, manage tissue culture/embryo rescue efforts, procure instrumentation and consumables as well as implement effective workplace safety and quality assurance measures.
- Interact cooperatively with corn breeding and trait conversion staff to facilitate an efficient and effective marker assisted breeding program.
- Develop and manage full and part-time laboratory technicians.
- Evaluate new DNA isolation, genotyping, sequencing, and automation technology to meet our growing need for genetic data.
- Select and optimize SNP’s for our custom genotyping arrays to ensure maximum informative value per data point.
- Ensure laboratory instrumentation is maintained and functioning properly.
- Develop, schedule and manage efficient work flow to accurately genotype a high volume of samples in a timely manner.
- Implement effective quality assurance program to ensure accurate genotyping.
- Oversee information management system and dissemination of data to end-users.
- Manage and document the embryo rescue effort.
- Consult with breeders on genomic selection and similar needs, including serving as a main contact for external genomic selection software systems.
- Anticipate and propose technological updates and capital needs well in advance.
- Assist directly with lab efforts as needed.
- Implement an effective workplace safety program.
- Interact cooperatively with other personnel from external firms in which Beck’s has a relationship.
- Perform other related duties as may be required by the Breeding Manager.
1. Education and Training:
- Preferred PhD in plant breeding, genetics, molecular biology, biochemistry (or related discipline)
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and insurable driving record as determined by Beck’s automobile insurance policy.
2. Technical Knowledge:
- Thorough understanding of tissue culture, DNA chemistry, molecular markers (e.g. SNP’s) as well as DNA isolation and genotyping technology.
- Understanding of the use of molecular markers in plant breeding including areas such as genomic selection and marker-assisted backcrossing.
- Excellent computer and current software skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess positive attitude.
- Ability to establish priorities, work independently, work as a team member, and proceed with objectives without supervision.
- At least five (5) years of experience in a molecular marker lab or related function.
- Experience with high throughput technology and LIMS software is highly desirable, but not required.