Share your passion for innovation and complex problem solving with like-minded scientists while growing the technical expertise of an animal health vaccine manufacturing site.
Bio Process Scientists in the Elanco Technical Services & Manufacturing Sciences (TS/MS) team play a vital role in process support, technology transfer, and commercialization of a diverse portfolio of vaccine products at a company that values inclusion and ownership through accountability. This role is ideal for the individual looking to make a meaningful impact while pursuing both their short- and long-term career goals. As a global leader in the animal health industry, Elanco offers a variety of career opportunities inside and outside of the Manufacturing & Quality function at exciting locations around the world.
The Bio Process Scientist position is part of a team of scientists responsible for creating excellence in manufacturing process technology. The Bio Process Scientist is accountable for enhancing understanding of the scientific principles that underscore the manufacturing processes and capabilities, and to leverage this to solve complex challenges.
The Bio Process Scientist reports to a TSMS Senior Scientist or the TSMS Site Lead. The position is in Fort Dodge, a city in north central Iowa, along the Des Moines River offering a variety of outdoor recreational activities and close to Iowa State University and the urban center of Des Moines.
TS/MS Front Line scientist provides support to the management of daily operations by:
- Using statistical tools to understand and reduce the sources of variability and to continuously improve the process.
- Being able to lead process related Root Cause Analysis and provide expert process knowledge in all incident investigations.
- Owning process related events, corrective actions, and changes.
- Owning the batch records and revisions assuring they remain current and accurate.
- Understanding the process laboratory model and its limitations (when applicable).
- Assist with execution of tech transfers to ensure that they are accomplished on time and with robust control strategies.
Basic Minimum Requirements:
- Minimum of B.S., or related technical experience, in a relevant scientific discipline.
- Proven organization and time management skills to meet time sensitive deadlines, attention to detail, and collaboration in a team-based environment are essential.
- Personal attributes: self-starter; attentive to details; results oriented; accountable; respectful of others; committed while maintaining balance and perspective; good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with changing priorities, and flexibility to support multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to problem solve using innovative thinking and good decision making.
- Always operating in a compliant manner with a high level of accuracy, integrity, and ethics.
- Respect for good documentation practices related to experimentation, maintaining technical data, and reports.
- Utilize design of experiment (DOE) to write experimental protocols, conduct experiments, and data analysis leading to statistically relevant conclusions to solve a range of problems.
- Author new process or product manufacturing directions and material requirements planning (SAP) models
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Elanco does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position.
- Understand the purpose and science of the process and have a good understanding of the entire process flow including customer requirements and safety critical operations.
- Know the control strategy and the historic and potential failure modes for the process and their associated countermeasures.
- Manage process change and ensure no change to the process will adversely impact quality.
- Have established statistically based tracking metrics which are incorporated into daily process monitoring activities; ensure process is in control and capable.
- Analyze the process to identify process vulnerabilities and inefficiencies and create a list of potential improvement projects.
- Where appropriate, utilize lab and pilot models to evaluate potential improvements.
- Plan, conduct and analyze statistically designed experiments providing meaningful conclusions.
- Routinely perform data-mining activities to uncover possible leads / ideas to add to the productivity hopper.
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status