Share your passion for innovation and complex problem solving with like-minded scientists at a cause-driven, customer focused company dedicated to positively impacting the health of animals, people, and the planet.
The Technical Services & Manufacturing Sciences (TS/MS) team at Elanco Technology Center, Indianapolis plays a key role in continuous process and productivity improvements initiatives and support of Elanco’s network of manufacturing sites with a diverse portfolio of pharmaceutical and biotech products. This Bioprocess Scientist role, focusing on downstream process optimization is ideal for the individual looking to make a meaningful impact while pursuing both their short- and long-term career goals. As a global leader in the animal health industry, Elanco offers a variety of career opportunities inside and outside of the Manufacturing & Quality function at exciting locations around the world.
This position is part of a team of scientists responsible for creating excellence in manufacturing process technology. The Bio Process Scientist is accountable for enhancing understanding of the scientific principles that underscore the manufacturing processes and capabilities, and to leverage this to solve complex challenges. The incumbent will support multiple platforms within the Biotech Network, including vaccines, microbial fermentation and monoclonal antibodies. The incumbent will collaborate with Scientists/Engineers in multiple geographies to deliver on a technical agenda focusing on product innovation, portfolio expansion, and productivity.
The position is based in Indianapolis, with a vibrant community, a thriving life sciences industry and top-rated academic institutions
- Expand in-house Downstream purification process capabilities and take the lead in optimizing downstream processes for Elanco’s portfolio of large molecule products including viral and bacterial vaccines, enzymes, and monoclonal antibodies
- Establish appropriate scale down models to enable process development and optimization activities
- Utilize statistical modeling (DoE) approaches to deliver effective process solutions
- Participate in manufacturing site investigations as needed, enhancing process knowledge, understanding and problem solving.
- Write technical papers and reports in a timely fashion
- Utilize safe laboratory practices, lead in safety compliance and improvement
Basic Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biotechnology or related areas with at least 2 years of relevant experience in laboratory and manufacturing settings
Additional Skills and Preferences:
- Experienced with downstream processes such as filtration, defiltration, TFF, viral clearance and protein and nucleic acid purification using conventional chromatography and AKTA purification system or similar. Experience and knowledge in Lyophilization is a plus
- Working knowledge of the upstream bioprocess – fermentation, cell culture
- Proven organization and time management skills to meet time sensitive deadlines, attention to detail, and collaboration in a team-based environment are essential.
- Personal attributes: self-starter; attentive to details; results oriented; accountable; respectful of others; committed while maintaining balance and perspective; good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with changing priorities, and flexibility to support multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to problem solve using innovative thinking and good decision making.
- Ability to influence people
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with areas inside and outside of Elanco
- 0-10% Domestic and International travel
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status