If you’re good at what you do, you can work anywhere. If you’re the best at what you do, come work at Corteva Agriscience!
The Bioprocess Science and Technology team (BPS&T) is seeking a Senior Biocatalysis Engineer or Scientist to lead lab-scale process development of whole cell or isolated enzyme biocatalysis reactions, enabling scale-up to manufacturing processes. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to shape and grow Corteva’s biocatalysis capabilities, by expanding the project pipeline, classes of enzymes utilized and future direction of the group. A core portion of the role will entail designing, conducting and analyzing experiments in a lab setting. The role will work closely with contract research, development and manufacturing organizations to support enzyme screening, pilot campaigns and manufacturing scale-up of new processes. Considering the multifaceted nature of biocatalysis involving the integration of chemistry, biology and engineering skill sets, the successful candidate will have a broad technical background and a propensity to expand their knowledge through collaborating with peers. Experience with industrial-scale biocatalysis, such as whole cell processes conducted in bioreactors and/or immobilized enzyme processes conducted in packed bed reactors is preferred. The role will be responsible for documenting experimental results through the use of an electronic lab notebook, report writing and presentations to stakeholders. In addition to the experimental portions of this role, the scientist will also be involved in project leadership by developing project plans, reporting to stakeholders, directing collaborative efforts, and establishing new capabilities.
What Do We Expect from You?
- Design, assist in execution, and analysis of experiments involving screening, optimization and scale-up of in vitro and in vivo biocatalysis
- Identify and deploy reactor designs suitable for industrial biocatalysis, with a focus on continuous or semi-continuous processes and sustainable operation.
- Coordinate experiments across research teams and document results in lab notebooks, reports and presentations
- Lead interactions with third parties including contract research, development and manufacturing organizations
- Build lab capabilities by selecting and implementing new equipment and workflows
- Contribute to the development of biocatalysis strategy to expand its implementation and value delivered to Corteva
- Contribute to Corteva’s sustainable chemistry goals
- Identify opportunities to improve the safe operation of the lab and maintain a strong commitment to safety, including development and maintenance of Standard Operating Procedures
What expertise have you grown?
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Bio/Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Enzymology, or related field
- Broad knowledge base to engage with subject matter experts spanning bioinformatics, strain construction, protein expression and purification, reaction optimization and scale up
- Strong communication skills to lead experiments across lab groups and present results to internal stakeholders
- Skills to troubleshoot technical challenges in biological and chemical processes
- Propensity for learning and continuous improvement
- Familiarity with enzyme improvement through rational design and screening workflows
- Familiarity with bioprocess scale up including bioreactors for protein expression and packed bed reactors
- Keep in mind, equivalent amounts of relevant experience may be considered in lieu of the above requirements
The following are preferred qualifications:
- Ph.D. in Bio/Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Enzymology, or related field
- Two years of experience in an industrial setting, preferably with manufacturing experience
- Experience operating lab-scale bioreactors and/or biocatalysis reactors
- Experience in semi-continuous or continuous bioprocessing
What Corteva Agriscience offers:
- Competitive health, vision, and dental insurance.
- 401k company match.
- 4 weeks of paid time off to start.
- 9 paid holidays
- Work-life balance
Check out life at Corteva! https://www.linkedin.com/company/corteva/life
Ready to grow your perspectives, impact, and career? We seek applicants from all backgrounds to ensure we get the best, most creative talent on our team. Start by applying to this opportunity today!