DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Benefits Specialist is responsible for assisting in the development, design, implementation and administration of Co-Alliances Health and Welfare Programs while providing exceptional customer service to employees, retirees, managers, and vendors. This position is part of a Human Resources team that supports over 1,000 employees in multiple states.
Responsibilities included, but not limited to:
- Administer and maintain current benefit programs medical, dental, life & disability, healthcare reimbursement accounts, flexible spending accounts, 401k retirement plan, pension, tuition reimbursement, etc.
- Work with benefit vendors on transmission of data integration feeds, identify and resolve discrepancies.
- Conduct benefits orientation and training activities for new hires, employees newly eligible for benefits, and open enrollment.
- Review and analyze current benefit plans as well as new plans for recommendations to our current benefits package to ensure our programs remain competitive and cost effective.
- Maintain compliance of all benefit plans including, non-discrimination testing, required annual filings, required employee notices, etc. and ensure compliance with all federal programs such as HIPAA, COBRA, ACA, and FMLA.
- Ensure that all employee related transactions are processed in an accurate, courteous, and timely manner via telephone, email or in-person interactions.
- Plan/coordinate annual open enrollment process, including preparation of communication materials, employee presentations, system updates for new rates/vendors, etc.
- Manage benefit plan audit process for all health/welfare and retirement plans.
- Vendor Management – build and maintain vendor relationships recommend new vendors as necessary.
- Promote essential elements of the benefit programs (internally) i.e., features, newsletter.
- Works with internal departments (e.g., IT, recruiting, payroll, etc.) on benefits related items.
- Handle special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Certified Employee Benefit Specialist Certification, Associate Degree, or equivalent preferred
- Minimum five years of benefits, insurance, or Human Resources experience.
- Must possess expert knowledge of relevant laws and regulations applicable to plan administration such as, ERISA, COBRA, HIPPA and the Affordable Care Act.
- Must have strong interpersonal and organizational skills, maturity, and excellent judgment, including the ability to handle highly confidential information.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with employees and occasionally family members.
- Advanced knowledge in Microsoft Office products including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and ability to utilize HRIS system and vendor enrollment software programs.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively and conduct benefit presentations.
- Excellent time management, prioritization and judgment skills with a positive attitude, high energy and focused attention to detail.
- Customer service attitude and team player.
- Travel up to 15% of the time, including occasional overnight travel.