Large Molecule Technical Development (LMTD) has an exciting opportunity for an automation scientist to join our product development organization in Greenfield, IN USA. Initially, the scientist will leverage high throughput liquid handling systems in developing and executing robust analytical methods for the therapeutic biological molecules portfolio. Building upon the analytical successes, it is foreseen this role will have an expanded impact to create high-throughput automation capabilities for
Elanco’s formulation, purification and cell culture disciplines.
This position is laboratory-based and will require routine interaction with scientists across multiple discovery and core research laboratories at Elanco. The incumbent scientist will be expected to support multiple projects at any given time. The analyst will drive building the high-throughput capabilities and assist in enabling and harmonizing methods on the automation platforms across global Elanco.
The scientist should be able to plan, perform, interpret and report results of scientific experiments. Design, review and make recommended changes to scientific protocols and procedures. This position will also be responsible for implementing R&D strategies to utilized robotics to optimize analytical methods and characterize product/processes through the principles of quality by design (QbD).
Functions, Duties, Tasks:
- Develops efficient automation protocols/scripts for liquid handling systems with on-board integrated analytical equipment on multiple platforms like TECAN, Hamilton, BioMek etc
- Stay current with industry automation practices and capabilities to enable and create opportunities to drive capability, capacity, efficiency and/or quality.
- Evaluate, implement new technologies/methodologies in the laboratory to drive innovation.
- Partner with and provide analytical support to various projects by executing samples analysis using established procedures.
- Perform assay development and optimization as well as screening/characterizing panels of potential biologic therapeutics.
- Participates in project teams by presenting results at team and business unit meetings.
- Train and coach other associates and scientists globally to facilitate knowledge exchange to ensure consistent practices between sites.
- Write reports, prepare SOPs/working procedures. Support preparation of tech transfer and registration documents.
- Adhere to laboratory safety standards. Maintain automation systems, consumables inventory in an organized manner and in an ever-ready state.
- Minimum BS degree in a relevant scientific discipline (Computer Science, Analytical chemistry & Biochemistry and Biology).
- At least 3 years experience with operating and programming liquid handling robotics platforms (e.g., TECAN, Hamilton, BioMek, Janus).
- Proven experience in analytical method development via automation methods.
- 3-5 years of experience working on R&D projects in the human or animal health industries.
- Highly focused and detail oriented, with high personal ethical and quality standards.
- Encompass a can-do attitude to drive productivity and efficiency.
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Elanco does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position.
- Knowledgeable in protein characterization, enzymatic and biopharmaceutical methods.
- Experience in validation of automated analytical methods.
- Experience in using electronic laboratory notebooks.
- Strong organizational and communication skills; as well as analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to work productively in an interdisciplinary team environment.
Other Information: Required travel ~0-10%
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status