The Automation Engineer is responsible for providing technical support and oversight for manufacturing process controls systems. In this role, you will play a key role in planning and delivery of controls system strategy, lifecycle efforts, and large-scale projects with a focus on safety and continuous improvement.
This role is based at the Elanco Animal Health Clinton Manufacturing Site, Elanco’s largest US manufacturing center. You will have the opportunity to work in a dynamic and complex manufacturing environment, partnering with cross-functional teams to deliver innovative automation solutions focused on safety, reliability, quality, operability, throughput, and cost.
Basic Minimum Qualifications:
- BS/MS Engineering (or equivalent degree – Majors in: Controls and Computer Control Systems, Automation Engineering, etc.) with minimum 3-5 years of experience working in automation.
- Advanced proficiency and demonstrated technical excellence in programming (PLCs, HMIs, DeltaV, vision systems, etc.).
- Strong project management/delivery skills including ability to resolve or escalate issues.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, especially in a team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple activities.
- Demonstrated organization and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to lead team and work with external resources.
- Provide backup 24-hour support, as the business requires.
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Elanco does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position.
- Preferred experience working in a regulated manufacturing environment.
- Lean/continuous improvement experience.
Technical Execution and Leadership
- Apply Control System principles and expertise to deliver large scope, challenging, and critical projects that will result in positive business impact, such as cost reduction/avoidance, product capacity/supply, and regulatory compliance.
- Provide data and influence decisions on Control System selection, design, computer system validation, and overall control system strategy.
- Understand/implement new technologies by providing cost estimates, standards, and design.
- Demonstrate comprehensive understanding of computer system validation principles.
- Influence business, regulatory, and technical design for Automation solutions and make decisions that impact automation outcomes and value capture.
- Provide productivity solutions through effective application and replication of successful automation and control solutions.
- Identify customer requirements and develop solutions to meet the business needs.
- Understand, deliver, and document business value to customers.
- Engagement in Automation Community of Practice and contribution at network level to advise and support on global initiatives, as needed.
- Assist with day-to-day production issues and projects, as needed.
Project and Financial Management
- Influence planning, execution, and delivery of projects that require automation resources.
- Coordinate efforts of site resources, contract resources, and project teams to facilitate large scale project delivery.
- Manage budget, process schedules, and financial impact.
- Interact with business to minimize downtime and mitigate risks to project delivery.
- Drive issue resolution by providing data and interpreting the data to customers.
- Facilitate project development meetings to ensure all areas of the business requirements and objectives are being addressed.
- Develop/facilitate training to increase user knowledge of control systems.
- Mentor Automation team on controls systems best practices and compliance processes.
- Partner with Computer System Quality to align on compliance practices and identify opportunities for optimization.
- Influence Process Engineering, Technical Services, Quality, and Operations on the role and functions of Automation.
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status