Position Title: Associate Scientist – ERL Discovery Biology – Protein Purification
Job Level: P1-P4
Position Type: FTE
Job Function: Support Elanco Research Labs
The Associate Scientist will use their skills and knowledge in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, and Biochemistry to discover and optimize biopharmaceuticals and vaccines. The incumbent will participate in biotherapeutic molecule discovery efforts (e.g., monoclonal antibodies) in the Elanco Research and Breakthrough Innovation Laboratories by performing small and medium-scale chromatography-based protein purification efforts. This position will be responsible for managing the entire protein purification workflow from purification through sample analysis. This position is laboratory-based and will require routine interaction with senior scientists across multiple discovery and core research laboratories at Elanco. The incumbent scientist will be expected to support multiple projects at any given time. The ability to independently execute experiments, coupled with a “can do” attitude, is essential.
Functions, Duties, Task:
- Purify protein using AKTA instrumentation and Unicorn control software
- Utilize FPLC chromatography with myriad resins / purification modalities incl. IEX, SEC, and affinity chromatography e.g., Ni-NTA, Protein A/G, Streptactin
- Concentrate and buffer exchange protein containing solutions via automated HF and TFF instrumentation e.g., Akta Flux or Spectrum hardware
- Analyze purity and quantity (concentration) of protein containing solutions before and after purification via SDS-PAGE, capillary electrophoresis, BLI, or western blot
- Demonstrate proficiency at data reporting, interpretation, and trending.
- Demonstrate good documentation skills with regard to raw data recording and protocol authoring
Minimum Qualification (education, experience and/or training, required certifications):
- Minimum BS degree in a relevant scientific discipline (molecular biology, microbiology, cell biology, immunology, or biochemistry)
- At least 2 years of experience working on R&D projects in the human or animal health industries.
- Effective oral and written communications skills.
- High personal ethical and quality standards.
- Exceptional problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Must be able to work productively in an interdisciplinary team environment
- MS degree and demonstrable subject matter expertise in a relevant scientific disciple (as above)
- Proven project leadership skills
- Knowledge and experience in purifying monoclonal antibodies
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status