Interested in joining a cause-driven, customer focused company dedicated to positively impacting the health of animals, people and the planet? Search our job listings below.
The Associate Scientist will use their skills and knowledge in Protein Biochemistry and Cell Biology to discover and optimize biopharmaceuticals and vaccines. The incumbent will participate in biotherapeutic molecule discovery efforts (e.g., monoclonal antibodies) in the Elanco Research and Breakthrough Innovation Laboratories by performing cell-based bioassays.
This position will be responsible for implementing and optimizing a panel of assays to evaluate biopharmaceutical activity, potency, and/or binding kinetics, along with evaluation of the biophysical and biochemical properties (e.g., solubility, stability, aggregation, charge, and homogeneity) of biologic drug candidates. This position is laboratory-based and will require routine interaction with senior scientists across multiple discovery and core research laboratories at Elanco. The incumbent scientist will be expected to support multiple projects at any given time. The ability to independently execute experiments, maintain focus, and show initiative is essential
Functions, Duties, Tasks:
- Execute and optimize cell-based and in vitro assays to evaluate biopharmaceutical properties (e.g., activity, potency, binding kinetics).
- Execute and optimize cell-based assays to interrogate the effector functions of veterinary antibodies.
- Perform protein developability analyses using a variety of modalities including capillary electrophoresis (cIEF and CE-SDS), HPLC (HIC, analytical size exclusion), dynamic light scattering, differential scanning calorimetry, solubility determination, and melting curve analyses.
- Demonstrate proficiency at data reporting, interpretation, and trending.
- Demonstrate good documentation skills with regard to raw data recording and protocol authoring
Minimum Basic Qualifications:
- Minimum BS degree in a relevant scientific discipline (molecular biology, microbiology, analytical chemistry, cellular biology, or biochemistry)
- Practical experience with ligand-binding assays e.g, ELISA, MSD, Gyrolab
- Practical experience with HPLC analysis of protein-based drug biophysical characteristics
- Practical experience with cell-based signaling assays
- At least 2 years of experience working on R&D projects in the human or animal health industries.
- Effective oral and written communications skills.
- High personal ethical and quality standards.
- Exceptional problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Must be able to work productively in an interdisciplinary team environment
- MS degree and demonstrable subject matter expertise in a relevant scientific disciple (as above)
- Proven project leadership skills
- Molecular biology skills including vector design and construction to build custom cell-based signal reporter assays
- Knowledge and experience in monoclonal antibody bioassays including ADCC assays and/or anti-drug antibody assays.
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status