The Assistant General Counsel is a key role on the US Legal team providing legal counsel to Elanco’s US Pet Health business. This role will provide legal advice regarding a range of go-to-market strategies including retail customers, on-line resellers, direct corporate accounts and through a distributor network. This position will report directly to the Sr. Assistant General Counsel – US Pet Health.
The primary purpose for this role is to provide business-oriented legal counsel to Elanco’s US Pet Health business.
- Responsible for counseling on US Pet Health commercial matters, including, commercial transactions, contract drafting and negotiation, product launch strategies, advertisement reviews and disputes, distribution counseling, antitrust risk assessments, formation and assessment of business strategies.
- Collaborates with cross-functional teams to provide strategic advice and proactive operational legal support at all levels of the business on a wide variety of legal issues while ensuring strategies, programs, policies, practices and initiatives comply with laws.
- Reviews and approves (from a legal perspective) marketing, advertising, promotional and regulatory materials and correspondence, public statements and press releases.
- Provides legal support for global procurement team. Drafts, reviews, negotiates a variety of procurement agreements including consulting agreements, purchasing agreements, services agreements, information technology license agreements, etc.
- Manage outside counsel as appropriate.
- Provides training to management and business groups on relevant/new legal topics and issues.
- J.D. degree
- 5+ years of general commercial counseling and/or litigation experience.
- Licensed to practice in Indiana or admitted to a State Bar of any US State or the District of Columbia (and able to be admitted to the Indiana Bar within six (6) months following the commencement of the position).
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of commercial contracting and working knowledge of US antitrust laws and competition/pricing laws.
- Demonstrated high level of competency managing complex programs.
- Experience leading or ability to lead commercial transactions as well as drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial agreements.
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Elanco does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position.
Additional Skills & Preferences:
- Previous experience within the animal health, pharmaceutical industry or other highly regulated industries preferred.
- Ability to translate ambiguity and complexity into a meaningful, actionable framework.
- Strong business acumen and mindset towards collaboration.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively including strong facilitation and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to network internally and externally to influence without authority.
- Evening and weekend hours may be required.
- Preference for this role is at Elanco’s corporate headquarters in Greenfield, IN (Indianapolis, IN). Will consider Teleworker: work remotely on a full-time basis, spending less than 10% of their time or one visit/quarter or less, at an Elanco office or site.
- Position requires some domestic and possibly some international travel (10%).
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status