The Sr. Assistant General Counsel is a key role on the US Legal team providing legal counsel to Elanco’s US Farm Animal business as well as legal support for our global strategic manufacturing team and procurement team. This position will report directly to the Deputy General Counsel – US Legal team.
The primary purpose for this role is to proactively provide business-oriented legal counsel to Elanco’s US Farm Animal business.
- Responsible for business-oriented counseling to the US Farm Animal business, including, the management of complex commercial transactions, contract drafting and negotiation, assisting with the development of product launch strategies, advertisement reviews and disputes, distribution counseling, antitrust risk assessments, and the formation and assessment of business strategies.
- Collaborates with cross-functional teams to provide strategic advice and proactive operational legal support at all levels of the business on a wide variety of legal issues while ensuring strategies, programs, policies, practices, and initiatives comply with legal requirements.
- Handles complex and sensitive assignments; recommends effective strategies and tactics; advises on legal rights, obligations, and privileges. Makes recommendations to management in making important decisions in relation to legal ramifications.
- Reviews and approves (from a legal perspective) marketing, advertising, promotional and regulatory materials and correspondence, public statements, and press releases.
- Provides legal support for global procurement team. Drafts, reviews, negotiates a variety of procurement agreements including consulting agreements, purchasing agreements, services agreements, information technology license agreements, etc.
- Provides legal support to the global manufacturing strategy group. Assists with the development of strategies and ensures appropriate legal protections.
- Provides training to management and business groups on relevant/new legal topics and issues.
- Manage outside counsel as appropriate, including management of legal budgets.
- J.D. degree
- 8+ years of general commercial counseling and/or litigation experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of commercial contracting and working knowledge of US antitrust laws and competition/pricing laws.
- Demonstrated high level of competency managing complex programs and/or organizations.
- Experience leading complex legal projects and providing practical options for meeting client business goals within applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Elanco does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position.
Additional Skills & Preferences:
- Previous experience within the animal health, pharmaceutical industry or other highly regulated industries preferred.
- Ability to translate ambiguity and complexity into a meaningful, actionable framework.
- Strong business acumen and mindset towards collaboration.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively including strong facilitation and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to network internally and externally to influence without authority.
- Evening and weekend hours may be required.
- Preference for this role is at Elanco’s corporate headquarters in Greenfield, IN (Indianapolis, IN). Will consider a Teleworker: work remotely on a full-time basis, spending less than 10% of their time or one visit/quarter or less, at an Elanco office or site.
- Position requires some domestic and possibly some international travel (10%).
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status