Bunge (NYSE: BG) is a world leader in sourcing, processing and supplying oilseed and grain products and ingredients. Founded in 1818, Bunge’s expansive network feeds and fuels a growing world, creating sustainable products and opportunities for more than 70,000 farmers and the consumers they serve across the globe. The company is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri and has 25,000 employees worldwide who stand behind more than 350 port terminals, oilseed processing plants, grain facilities, and food and ingredient production and packaging facilities around the world.
The Assistant Plant Manager will provide leadership support in all aspects of production in an oilseed crushing/processing and/or refining facility. As a member of the Plant Leadership Team, the Assistant Plant Manager will be an active leader in support of the Plant Manager and responsible for demonstrating a commitment to safety, continuous improvement, employee engagement and maintaining a cost effective operation.
Responsibilities will include the day-to-day oversight of plant safety, ensuring compliance with the Process Safety Management program, plant costs and budgets, monitoring and ongoing improvement of plant productivity, risk management, supervision of employees, interaction with various corporate entities and other functions related to general operations of Bunge North America’s (BNA) soybean crushing/processing and refining facility.
The successful candidate will understand and demonstrate a commitment to safety first.
The Assistant Plant Manager is a key role to build the foundational skills required to be a successful Plant Manager. Successful candidates should be willing to relocation for future growth opportunities within the Bunge Operations Team.
- Maintain a clean and safe plant. Provide an injury-free work environment for employees, staff, contractors, visitors through engagement, job hazard analysis (JHAs), training programs, good work practices, Bunge standards, and proactive elimination of exposures. Continually improve safety record by addressing both physical safety issues and employee safety attitudes. Maintain and improve housekeeping in all areas.
- Plan, organize and direct the manufacturing and maintenance operations which ensure the most effective return on assets.
- Initiate plans and processes which minimize manufacturing costs through effective utilization of manpower, equipment, facilities, materials, and capital. Assure attainment of business objectives and productions schedules while ensuring product standards that will exceed our customers’ expectations. Reduce costs and improve efficiencies in all areas of plant operations.
- Implement manufacturing strategies and action plans to ensure that the facility supports Bunge’s strategic initiatives.
- Establish group and individual accountabilities throughout all plant departments for safety leadership, problem solving and cost reduction.
- Encourage use of new techniques and focus on fact based problem solving.
- Improve manpower utilization within existing departments and processes.
- Manage spending against budget and in relation to changes in production volume.
- Assure that collective bargaining agreements are effectively administered and that employee grievances are addressed in a timely fashion.
- Maintain individual skills keeping up to date with latest production and production management concepts.
- Operate the site at the highest levels of efficiency by managing equipment reliability and Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) and managing site spending and expenses to minimum levels required to meet site strategy.
- Ensure the proper planning, design and implementation of capital and expense projects consistent with site strategy.
- Ensure that the product being manufactured meets Bunge’s and our customers’ standards, policies and practices through the proper implementation and maintenance of all aspects of quality systems such as GMP
- Establish and maintain a positive community relationship.
- Ensure proper maintenance of site equipment and infrastructure.
- Properly utilize resources. Foster a well-trained and motivated staff. Responsible for establishing all shift production schedules. Select and train plant supervisory and administrative staff. Conduct employee performance reviews. Schedule and conduct plant meetings.
- Participates in annual business planning and budgeting of the plant.
- Consult regularly with senior management to ensure that manufacturing objectives and business goals are being met.
- Engage and motivate the workforce through an active presence on the production floor.
- Additional projects and duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or technical field required; MBA is a plus
- A minimum 5 years’ experience with 3 years of management and supervisory experience in plant operations including 3 years in the soybean processing/edible oil industry or closely related field required
- Prior experience in a unionized environment is strongly preferred
- Demonstrated leadership skills, independent thinking, strong organizational and planning abilities and excellent analytical and problem solving skills are essential
- Proven ability to engage and motivate hourly and salary teams
- Strong organizational skills required so as to constantly keep in touch with various departments of the organization
- Ability to work closely with all business functions
- Excellent communication skills interacting with all levels of staff, including hourly workforce and senior management
- Proficiency in MS Office required, working knowledge of SAP strongly preferred. Ability to demonstrate a strong financial/business acumen is required to be successful in this role as much of the position entails meeting the budget and productivity requirements of the plant.
- Ability to work self-directed (day to day) with a high level of initiative, priority setting
- Facility is a 24/7 operation, selected candidate must be able to work on average 50 hours per week and be available during business critical situations
- Willingness and ability to relocate for future growth opportunities is required
- Leadership: Demonstrates the ability to motivate, energize, align and promote change in others related to a common purpose and objectives.
- Visioning and Alignment: Engages others by communicating a picture of future possibilities and shared purpose to work collectively toward common objectives
- Strategic Thinking: Analyzes and applies a broad organizational and business perspective to identify and maintain focus on key drivers of organizational performance.
- Talent Management: Maximizes team member capabilities by identifying talent, providing ongoing coaching/mentoring and feedback, supporting opportunities for growth and development.
- Relationship Management: Builds trusting, productive relationships with internal/external customers, team members, colleagues and stakeholders through transparent, genuine, influential communications.
- Business Management: Demonstrates the ability to plan, organize, improve and execute activities related to business operations.
- Organizational Perspective: Adopts a systemic perspective, defining and leveraging the ideas, resources and unique perspectives of Bunge’s diverse local and global groups.
- Change and Innovation: Actively supports exploration of new ideas, calculated risk-taking and choices/initiatives that can make a significant impact.
- Performance and Results Orientation: Maintains focus on key performance drivers, continuously improves processes, and consistently delivers results.
Bunge is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or military or veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Bunge is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled